Saturday, April 16, 2022

N ~ Nuts

     Every winter Dad would buy a huge bag full of assorted nuts, still in their shells.
    We kept a bowl full of them on the kitchen counter, and on the evenings when we didn't have popcorn while Mom read our bedtime stories we'd sit around the table and crack and eat nuts instead.
    Nothing was quite as satisfying as having a walnut survive the cracking process and come out unbroken.
    Though I liked all of the nuts, my favorite was the hazelnut, or as we used to call them, filberts.
    My little brothers couldn't crack nuts, so we would share ours with them, all while Mom's sweet voice continue reading.
    If time travel were a thing, I wouldn't mind popping back there for a few minutes for another round of filberts and bedtime stories.
    

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy a bowl of nuts too

    quite a satisfying page from ur life..

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing about eating nuts is that, even though they are high calorie, they take so long to open that you really can't overindulge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always had nuts to crack around Christmas time. This past Christmas I tried to find some in the store but no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hazelnuts in my coffee :)
    I remember once getting a bag of whole walnuts and we used to crack them by keeping them in door hinges and closing the door

    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazelnuts are my favourite kind of nut too. And that sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.