Friday, April 15, 2022

M ~ Memories

     I treasure happy memories.
    Over the past few years I have become more heartless with our possessions. Donating and throwing things out with what my Grandmother would have deemed as reckless abandon. 
    I'll keep the memories, but get rid of the stuff was my reasoning behind it.
    Going through my Mom's things last month made me both question my tossing of so many things, and also be determined to toss even more.
    She kept so many things. 
    It was a monumental task going through everything, it's actually not quite done yet.
    But seeing different things she kept woke memories that had be lying dormant for years. 
    I enjoyed being flooded with so many different good memories that would most likely never have returned had they not been woken by the things she had kept.
    So now I'm torn. Should I keep more, because evidently my mind will not bring up all my memories on its own. Or should I heartlessly continue to trend more towards being a minimalist and get rid of stuff so our children won't be stuck with that task someday?

9 comments:

  1. It is so hard to find balance in this situation isn’t it? I think your children will get to relive so many memories through your written words more than anything else. They are lucky that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to decide but I agree. Your children have your written words. That is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not an easy choice. I have a bunch of books I am struggling on whether to keep or get rid of. The memories will remain even if I never reread them.
    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mum, sister and I had to go through my grandmother's stuff, and it was plenty, but then I had to do it alone with Mum's belongings. (My sister had died by that time.) I come from a long line of what can kindly be called packrats - hoarders, to be blunt about it - so I am beginning to cull my own belongings, to save our girls the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take pictures of the things that you give away. You can bring back the memories with a photo of the object, rather than the object itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand the reasoning behind clearing out possessions and being minimalist. It's an empty feeling if you don't have sentimental things around you to remind you of happy times or people you care about. I feel knick-knacks and other things make a house feel homey and also connects us to our past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better thing would be to may be pass them to someone who has a dire need ?? But if of no use then decluttering may bring fresh starts

    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
  8. When in doubt, I would say "keep it." You don't have to decide right away, and you can always get rid of it later. Also you can take pictures of the things and print them out and even make a book of photos of the special memories to go through with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a tough choice to make. When in doubt, keep it - at least for now. It's hard to do, but you need to find a middle ground, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.