Tuesday, April 12, 2022

J ~ John

    My brother John was the closest in age to me.
    We got into a lot of things when we were little because of my "bright" ideas and his willingness to go along with them.
    Such as the day I thought it would be fun playing Santa Clause in the pile of cement chimney blocks that were stacked behind the barn. The descending the chimney worked out just fine, but then he was stuck and he had to stay trapped until I got Mom to the rescue.
    Then there was the day I came up with the brilliant idea to turn the bottom dresser drawer into a bench. He and one of my other brothers sat on it, which caused the dresser to tip trapping them underneath. 
    If I got a silly worry and started crying about something he'd howl right along with me. I wrote about one such occurrence here.
    As we grew older he became my sounding board. He was calm and level headed and would often talk sense into my latest whatever it was that I was stressing about.
    We still talk almost every week, even though he's still Amish and I'm not.  He never cut us out of his life like so many others did.
    I will always treasure the memories I have of growing up with him, and am so thankful John is my brother.

7 comments:

  1. "We still talk almost every week, even though he's still Amish and I'm not. He never cut us out of his life like so many others did."

    It did my heart good to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I never had a brother but would have loved one like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very close to my one and only brother, too. So glad to know there is another grateful sister out there.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can envision your mad cap antics and your brother going along. Nice to hear he still talks to you despite your different paths in life. That's what brothers are for. I have two and three sisters. iMessage keeps us in touch most days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He cherishes all that you had together and it is so good he keeps in touch. It is love that binds and can't be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treasure and blessing to have a brother like John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John definitely sounds like a brother to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.