Saturday, August 22, 2020

Misunderstandings

     Last evening we had several moths get into the house and during the next few minutes of chasing them down and disposing of them, I was reminded of a little misunderstanding my Grandpa had one time.
     They had out of state visitors and had invited us over for supper so we could see them as well.
      During the course of conversation the visiting man asked Grandpa, "How are the Millers doing here?"
     Grandpa hesitated just a minute and said, "I don't  know that they're much different from anywhere else. I go after them with a fly swatter every evening it seems."
      Now it was the visiting man's turn to pause for a confused moment. "I was talking about Eli Millers," he said.
     Every one laughed. Grandpa had thought the man had been asking about millers,  as in moths. 
     The mental image of Grandpa chasing Eli Miller with a fly swatter had us all amused, and even today it makes me smile when I think of it. 

8 comments:

  1. Brought a smile to my face! Hardly hear anyone refer to Millers anymore. That is what my Dad always called them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I read Miller, I had an idea of what happened. I can only imagine how amusing that was for everyone. My Grandma always called them Millers too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks, I needed that chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely memory for you, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for my Morning Smile..it's so funny how misunderstandings can develop.
    What a funny mental picture that must have been.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. We called them millers, also! We had a similar incident with someone called Dusty (Dustin) Miller and had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.