Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Learning to Drive

    This is the third round of sitting in the passenger seat as one of our teens learn how to drive.
     It's not a job I ever wanted, but somehow it became mine.
     It's interesting how siblings can be so different.
     Teen #1 sat in the driver's seat, happy to learn how to drive. Meticulous, doing everything with his intense style of concentrating. 
      Teen #2 gave herself an ulcer by stressing about driving. She wanted to know how to drive, but going through the process of learning how was not on her list of things she wanted to do. Curves, other vehicles, narrow roads. They were all a huge grief to her.
      Teen #3 is in the process now. She looked forward to the day when she would get to be the one to sit in the driver's seat. She has plenty of confidence. She had another lesson today. The seat moved forward as far as it goes, mirrors adjusted, and peering over the steering wheel she is in her element. "I'm so glad we live in an area where roads have lots of curves," she says as she happily guides the vehicle around another one as if she had been driving for years already.
      I'm glad it will be a few years before there will be a teen #4, but I can't help but wonder how he will be.

17 comments:

  1. So true. We have three children and each one's personality has been so different. But I must say, I never actually enjoyed those learning to drive days. I was a nervous wreck although they all did just fine.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nervousness hasn't completely disappeared, but this time around isn't quite as nerve-wracking as the previous two times had been.

      Delete
  2. Oh those exciting days. My granddaughter is at that point of practicing her driving. I must say, she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started reading your blog, you only had 3 children, and they were all young. I can't believe those 3 are already driving, and one of them is married!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had 3 children with whom to go through the learning to drive process. They were all so different, too. I don't remember any of it being a relaxed experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relaxing wouldn't be a word I choose to describe it either. :)

      Delete
  5. I had 3 children to go through that with too. My 2 girls were good, my son? he gave me anxiety. Ha! Now he and the girls are all good drivers. My grandson is now practicing for his license. How did I get that old? ha! Fun times though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you!! This brings MEMORIES!! I taught NINE kids how to drive! (We were a foster family.) Many of them learned on "straight stick" or manual shift. It truly is a miracle that I'm alive to tell about it, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is only nine, but I can't wait to teach her how to drive. I always thought that I would like to be a driver's ed instructor. Now that job would never be dull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was ready to roar out of the driveway the minute I was legally able, so I was stunned when my daughter did not want to drive when the age came. Even after she learned had others drive HER car, so she didn't have to. Her kids are the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three of our girls took Driver's Ed in school, although they did practice driving with their father and me. As a matter of fact, my sister and I also learned to drive at school. It's much easier on everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting how different they were. Good luck with getting teen #3 driving solo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.