Friday, April 12, 2019

K ~ Kool-Aid

     The school lunches Mom made for us, we ate and enjoyed, but they were also very safe from any trade negotiations. No one looked at our fried egg on whole wheat bread sandwiches and thought, "What do I have in my lunch box that I could trade for that?"
      They didn't seem interested in our carrot sticks, bowls of peaches, or the occasional oatmeal raisin cookies either.
       Since the only beverage we ever had was water, Mom didn't even bother sending a thermos along. We could get plenty of water at school.
       We got used to seeing the other students exchange delicious looking food. There were times I really wished we would be on that level of lunch time goodness, but I didn't have much hope of that ever happening.
       The thing that intrigued me the most was the one family, each child always had a pint jar filled with Kool-Aid. I wanted those so badly. I could only imagine how delicious it must taste as they drank all those brilliantly colored drinks.
      And then one summer Sunday afternoon it happened. A family stopped in for a visit. We children had a lot of fun playing and then as per usual Amish tradition it was time for popcorn. We ran inside to get our plate full when what to my amazement should appear, but two pitchers full of sparkling red Kool-Aid.
    I drank my cup full slowly, savoring every drop. It was every bit as wonderful as I had always imagined it would be.
    Kool-Aid never became a regular thing though in our family. In fact it was years before Mom bought more.
     Those first years after we were married, we went through a lot of Kool-Aid. Having a farmer husband who needed something to drink other than water when working in the summer heat made it a necessity. I mixed gallons of it everyday during haymaking season when my brothers would come over to help and they all partook of this treat.
     Strangely enough, I don't even like Kool-Aid now. Give me plain cold water from our well any day, and I'll be as happy as I was as a little girl drinking that precious cup of Kool-Aid.

11 comments:

  1. I certainly understand Lunch time angst. My mum was thrifty to the point of being parsimonious. We got three cents to purchase milk to wash down our sandwiches, but Mum put those sandwiches in the liners on cereal boxes, rather than spring for waxed paper! One lunch meat sandwich, one jelly sandwich, and maybe - maybe - some buttered saltines for "dessert".

    And don't forget to bring the bags back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you didn't have to worry about others wanting to have your lunch either. :)

      Delete
  2. I am responding to I, for interests. I saved an amazing video from Facebook that showed embroidery stitches I had never seen and the are gorgeous. If you qould like me to share it with you respond here to tell me how or PM (Traci Shimel) or email me (tbird_417@msn.com).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to learn new embroidery stitches!

      My email is ajoyfulnoise(at)live(dot)com

      Delete
    2. You, my. I can only share them to you on Facebook or send in Messenger. I promise you that I will not contact you further through either method without your permission...I'm not a stalker!

      Delete
    3. My Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/maryann.kinsinger.7

      Delete
    4. I messaged three different videos to you. Please let me know if you didn't get them.if you did, I hope you and your daughters enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I have consumed way too much Kool-aid in my time. I am with you,I really don't like it any more.My Mom even mixed it stronger and froze it in a popsicle mold That was the ultimate treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved those frozen treats as a child! I'm glad you got to enjoy them.

      Delete
  4. Years ago I had my sister and niece over for lunch and made lemonade Kool-Aid with lemon slices in it. My sister said it was the best lemonade she had ever had. I never told her it was really Kool-Aid. Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.