Wednesday, April 3, 2019

C ~ Cream Colored

   By the time I was ready to make the quilts for my hope chest, I had already made hundreds of other quilts that were then sold in my parents' store. I knew the patterns and colors I wanted for my own quilts and I enjoyed sewing them.
   
    I would be getting three quilts for normal everyday use, several comforters, and then one nice one to be used for guests. For the guest quilt I knew I wanted to make it in the Broken Star pattern and the exact colors I had admired for years in one of Mom's quilt books. There was only one problem. In the quilt book they had used white fabric for the fill in parts of the quilt, and the Amish in Somerset County were not allowed to have any white in their quilts.

    No other color worked though, and finally I settled on using a cream colored fabric. I saved the receipt carefully for proof that the fabric was not white in case any one was going to stir up some trouble about it.

    I loved the quilt once it was done, and was pleased how the cream colored fabric worked well in place of the white in the original design.

18 comments:

  1. Hello, I just want to say that your work is stunning.
    You are very talented and beautiful choice of colors. Better cream than white, just my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's cream instead of white, now. My 19 year old self had really wanted white though.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt! I don’t understand the reasoning behind the use and rejection of some colors in the Amish rules, but then again I didn’t grow up with it.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either. Rules vary so much from one community to the next. Some don't allow pieced quilts at all.

      Delete
  3. That is stunning. Yes,the cream color works very well.I think white might have looked to stark.You are a talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad I used cream instead of white. I agree it would have been too stark.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt!
    Would you please be so Kind as to explain the difference between a comforter and a quilt? The dictionary is no help. Thanks a lot.
    Marion from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amish lady or would "used to be Amish lady" be more appropriate?
    Blessings from a Christian living in South Africa that has no idea what an Amish is.
    I like your quilting work very much. As a matter of interest, how long did it take your 19 year old self to make this particular Quilt?
    Never actually had a quilt myself but can see just how beautiful such a quit would make a bedroom. Hey I live in Africa, we generally have no need for such decorative and warm covers. Geoff.
    Anyway, just popped in from the A to Z challenge to say hello. I'm writing about the animals of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From start to finish it took about eight weeks to make the quilt. That included the hand quilting.

      Delete
  6. I love your quilt, it gorgeous. I wish I could quilt or even do wall hangings, but I don't know how:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to learn how. The sense of satisfaction when a project is complete, and the enjoyment of doing it make it worthwhile!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.