Thursday, April 4, 2019

D ~ Doll, Daisy, and Dottie

    Doll, Daisy, and Dottie were three of the thirty cows I was introduced to only a few days after we were married and I had moved to LV's family farm.

     Those first weeks all the information I was receiving was nearly overwhelming. Trying to remember the names of all the cows, learning how to assemble the milking equipment, and all my other new duties that came along with being a dairy farmer's wife.

    It didn't take me long to remember Doll's name. She was a greedy, bossy young cow. She could be lying there contentedly chewing her cud, but if she heard the cow next to her drink from a water bowl she would get to her feet with amazing speed and push her away. She was the second cow in the row of fifteen which meant she had two water bowls to choose from. Even so her greed would have her trying to guard both bowls to keep them for herself.

     Daisy was a sweet cow, smaller than the others in our herd. It didn't take me long to really like her. Her disposition was one of sweetness. She loved being brushed and working with her was always a joy.

     Dottie was an unassuming cow. She would have won no beauty contests, being the plainest cow I ever saw. Her character made it easy to not really pay any attention to her. She always did what she was supposed to do, and went where she was supposed to go. Her milk production was average. She minded her own business and was easily one of the most forgettable cows we had.

   We had other cows who gave us more than a few memorable stories, but their names didn't begin with "D" so I'll save their stories for some other day.

8 comments:

  1. Seems like every farm had a Daisy for a cow. I’m just thankful that Dad got rid of our cows when I was fairly young. Big animals intimidate me. I admire them from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think they would still intimidate you if had been able to grow up with them?

      Delete
  2. Seems they were like some people are: pushy, sweet or unassuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's amazing how many similarities there are between animals and people.

      Delete
  3. My brothers’ 4H cow was called Duchess and she was so passive. My dad always treated her special and could identify here out there in the herd of 27 herefords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how easy it is to identify a cow from the rest of the herd if you know her well?!

      Delete
  4. I love you descriptions! Thanks for introducing us to these cows.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.