Thursday, April 11, 2019

J ~ Jam

   Jams and jellies were always a treat as a child.
 
   I always enjoyed when it was time to make jam. Mom would send me to the basement to get the box of used paraffin disks that we had saved from all the jam jars we had used since the last time we had made jam.

   We would put them in an old ugly battered pan and set it on the stove to melt while Mom cooked up the jam. After she had carefully filled our odds and ends jars with the hot jam she would spoon some of the melted paraffin on top to seal it and keep it fresh until we were ready to use it.

    The jam cupboard in the basement always looked so cheerful by the end of canning season. Filled with gleaming jars of strawberry, peach, and plum jam, as well as an assortment of jellies. The plum jam was all of our favorite. Getting the biggest chunk of plum was always our goal when ever it was served.

   It has been years since I've had plum jam, but just thinking about it makes me want to have some. Maybe I'll have to make a batch or two this year.

9 comments:

  1. I do remember the used paraffin and how we Melted it and reused it. My Mo had a tin cup in which to melt this and I still have that cup now, only it is decorative now. Plum Jam Yummy.Its been a while since I tasted homemade plum jam,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen plum jam in a store. I wonder why that is?

      Delete
  2. My mom used to make strawberry jam and apple butter. She used paraffin to seal her jars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paraffin was such a great "tool" when making jams etc. Especially for my Mom who used jars that had lids that couldn't seal.

      Delete
  3. We used to make jellies and jams at home, too. My sister and I liked to dip our fingers into the melted paraffin and then peel off the "skin" that formed. When The Squire and I were married we filled baby food jars with various sorts of jellies and he gave them out in the office as Christmas gifts. Now, baby food comes in plastic boxes and none of our friends have little children. Even our great-grandchildren are too old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the glass baby food jars. I wish I had saved all of ours, especially now that I have Pinterest and found all these cute little craft ideas using them.

      Delete
  4. Mom too used the wax for her jams and jellies. We had a little tin frypan shape thing to melt the wax in. I took it when mom left the homeplace and it means a lot to me having it, although I don't use it for my jam's. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.