Monday, April 20, 2015

Q ~ Quiet

Growing up Amish we were used to quiet. Aside from the obvious of not having a television or radio to make noise, our house also didn't ever have the noise of a humming refrigerator or any other technology related noises.

Our house was a comfortable level of quiet, but staying overnight at my grandparents house took quiet to a whole new level. It was so quiet it almost felt loud.

Instead of the noise a family of eight creates, even in the middle of the night, there was absolutely nothing to be heard except the ticking of clocks, and weird night time creaks. As much as I loved my grandparents, I did not enjoy staying at their house overnight. The quiet was simply too much.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a different way to grow up. These days I can't fall asleep easily without a fan blowing next to my ear. I tell my husband that it's to drown out his snoring, and that's partly true, but even if he didn't I just love white noise when I'm trying to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that quiet and silence are two very different things. I also remember visiting grandparents who did not have TV or radio - or even electricity! It felt like another planet. But a cozy one. Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grown up, both my parent's and grandparent's homes were very quiet, but my dad often said that when the freezer motor cycled off, it would awaken them. The hum would sigh through the heat ducts, and the sudden lack of white noise was "loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to find a place that is totally quiet... even if I'm out of doors there is the sound of breezes ruffling through the trees. I do like the sound of silence though. It is so restful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echoing silence ringing noislessly. A line from a poem I wrote many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.