Saturday, April 18, 2020

P ~ Pimples

    Pimples, acne, or what ever you want to call it gave me a lot of trouble during my teenage years.
    I tried quite a variety of things to try to get rid of them, some remedies more scary than others, but none of them seemed to make a difference.
    My parents tried to tell me my smile and friendliness would mask those pimples, and people would remember how I made them feel much more than any pimple I may have had.
     I tried to take their encouragement to heart, but glancing in the mirror before heading out the door and seeing another batch of pimples sprouting up to take the place of those that were fading never felt any better.
    Then one summer day my little three year old brother Raymond came running into the house all excited. "There's a pretty butterfly in the garden! It looks just like Mary Ann! It's all pimply, just like her!"
    His innocent excitement about a lovely butterfly that looked like me warmed my heart. I still heartily disliked my pimples, but seeing how happy he was to see the butterfly, and that he thought it was pretty helped. Every time I looked into the mirror after that until my acne finally cleared up I would always replay his happy words in my mind.

16 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest story. It shows the love your brother felt for his sister.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in those shoes! My face was still giving me fits after I got married. It never occurred to me that I could have asked a doctor about it.
    And I didn't have a little brother to cheer me up . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw ... I wish you would have had a little brother to encourage you.

      My face cleared up shortly after we got married.

      Delete
  3. That is such a lovely story, uplifting. What a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a perfect example of how important our words are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes all it takes is the words of a child... sweet. sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your memory a lot. I wonder what kind of butterfly it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew as well. We had several different kinds of butterflies in our area that were spotted or speckled.

      Delete
  7. A lovely post. Words matter, so we should always use kind ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words can make a person's day and create memories that last a lifetime. :)

      Delete
  8. That's so sweet. I'm glad that happened to help you feel better about your pimples, and wish I'd had an experience like that to draw on to feel better about my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly the bright spot during my struggle with pimples.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.