Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Are you comfortable with silence? If you're home alone, do you like silence or do you need regular background noise? Do you seek out times and places to be silent? What's your favorite place to find silence/be silent?

I have learned to be comfortable with silence. It used to bother me when meeting new people and I didn't know what to say. Any silence was cringe worthy, but thankfully I got over that.

Complete silence is really rare in our house. There's always the fridge running in the background, and now that it's colder the furnace produces a continual noise.

There is a place I love to go to be silent. I don't get to go very often, but if you need a spot to sort out thoughts or simply soak in the beauty of nature and ponder on the greatness of God I know the perfect spot to do that. If I shared my favorite quiet spot others might start seeking it out as well and it wouldn't be quiet any longer.

2. October 28th is National Chocolate Day. Can't let that go by without a mention now, can we? Will you celebrate? How? Let's say you can have one of the following right this very minute... a cup of hot chocolate, a strawberry dipped in chocolate, a bowl of plain chocolate ice cream, or a slice of chocolate pie...what's your pleasure?

Sadly, I won't be celebrating.

If I could have any of the mentioned chocolate options I would go for a strawberry dipped in real milk chocolate, not the disgusting fake stuff that is often found in chocolate fountains.

3. How do you feel about blue jeans? Favorite thing in the world to wear or nope, don't own a single pair? How often do you wear blue jeans in a typical week? Do you own a blue jean jacket?

I'm more of a skirt kind of person.

I also don't own a blue jean jacket.

4. Are you superstitious? If so, in what way?

I am not superstitious at all, which is kind of surprising considering all the superstitions I was surrounded with while growing up.

Back in the day there were several I believed, and one in particular that gave me a bit of grief.

5. If you had to come up with a costume using only things you have on hand right now, what could you come up with?

The possibilities are endless considering all the fabrics and sewing supplies I have available. Since I don't have a lot of time for sewing I would probably just throw on one of my old Amish dresses and call it scary enough.

6. What scares you a little? What do you do when you feel scared?

Other than spiders, mice, and snakes? When I'm home alone in the dark and I hear some odd noises it always bothers me a little. I usually sing How Can I Fear and the truths of those lyrics always help.

7. Perhaps today will be the day I ______________________________.

Finally reach all the goals I set for myself this morning.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Another Christmas pageant practice tonight. I'm trying to think of something I could take along to work on while I wait for Sunbeam. I so detest handwork, but being surrounded by other moms happily crocheting, knitting, embroidery and  even fabric painting makes me think I could be doing something a little more creative with my time there than simply visiting and watching them get something done.

16 comments:

  1. You and I are scared of the same thing! Love your answer to coming up with a costurme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your random. I feel the same way when surrounded by all those industrious knitters and crocheters. Lol. I'm sure curious about your childhood superstition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your superstition story. I think as children thats the kind of thing that really sticks and is hard to let go of, even though as a rational adult we know it's a superstition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...not a fan of those "critters", either. I'll have to check out your superstition story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...I am not a fan of the chocolate fountains either. I think they're kind of gross.

    Could you bring a book or crossword puzzle to the play practice? Or is that too anti-social?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think visiting counts for a lot when others are doing their handwork. You are paying attention to what others have to say, affirming them in the process.

    Your link to your blog post about the mirrors was very interesting. I'm glad you've been able to move past the superstitions. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back before The Squire and I got married somebody broke into my home, beat me up, and then tried to smother me with a pillow. For a long, long time I could not be left home alone. I still can't get anything over my face; I have to pull on my shirts and dresses as quickly as possible, and Heaven help us all if I forget to unbutton or unzip before I try to take off something!

    I was never taught to be afraid of snakes. My German grandparents lived on a farm, and when my mother found a garter snake she would hold it in her hand and, if I promised to be VERY gentle, she would let me hold it for a while. "Behind her head - very, very carefully - and let her wind around your arm. See, your arm is warm and she likes that." My mum also taught me how to tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes, and while I'm not afraid of them, I do respect poisonous snakes - from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw you over at Cranberry Morning. Your icon photo brought me here. It is so beautiful! Where is that?

    "I could have any of the mentioned chocolate options I would go for a strawberry dipped in real milk chocolate, not the disgusting fake stuff that is often found in chocolate fountains."

    I'm SO with you in this. The real deal or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mary Ann I wish we lived closer. We have a lot in common. Most of your answers could have been mine except the handiwork one. I ALWAYS have my knitting/crocheting with me. Always. And since I'm a confirmed chocoholic, I'll be celebrating with a cup of hot cocoa this evening.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a crocheter and really enjoy it and I am a knitter at heart. I have tried to knit well and, well, I knit poorly and just dream of big yummy sweaters.

    I like your costume idea. Just makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The silence in a small group is a little uncomfortable. I always try to think of something to fill in the gap and then usually wonder why I felt that responsibility. I wish I had learned to crochet from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although we children did not share superstitions, we did share scary stories late at night. That was the chief entertainment for sleepovers. I remembered some of those made up stories and flashlights under the covers for several years. If you don't want to crochet or embroider or knit, then don't feel you must. Be content to just sit there and watch and visit. You deserve a few minutes of just being in your busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hope you reach all of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daily goal setting is a great idea. It's something I don't usually do though unless I have a lot to do that needs prioritizing. Being an Amish girl is a great costume idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love chocolate! The worse chocolate is those chocolate Easter bunnies...Oh, terrible! A good quality chocolate is wonderful! I always bring a tote bag with me to places where I need to wait...I always have my latest crochet project, a book and my bible. I could spend hours and hours with just those 3 things! I hope you find something to occupy your time. Perhaps there is a place you could walk? Sometimes I do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Amish Dress would make a great Halloween costume. Hope you reached your goals! Hope the pageant practice was a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.