Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing...have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon? How so?

No. Though I do enjoy a lot of different pumpkin desserts. Things such as my Mom's Pumpkin Pie, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pudding.

Growing up Amish I never realized how pumpkin related things were considered fall related. Sure we canned our pumpkin in the fall, but we used it year round with no special time to have an extra focus on it.

Strawberries though ..... now that was something seasonal because only in June could we enjoy fresh strawberries and all the delicious things to make with them.

2.  "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld  

What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a matter of lack of will?

I don't know. The word impossible doesn't really have room in my vocabulary.

3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (click here to see the list). Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower?

I am happy with our state flower. It's not my favorite flower by any means, but I do think it was chosen wisely.

4. What have you lost interest in recently?

Again I don't know. My areas of interest keep growing rather than diminishing. There are things such as sewing and baking I don't do nearly as much as I used to, but it's not because I've lost an interest. With two daughters who love baking I hardly ever get the chance to bake anything, and since we no longer make all our own clothes, sewing doesn't happen nearly as much either.

5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician?

There are so many, but one of my favorites is Kathryn Scott



6. S'mores-love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list?

I have only had one once, and I loved it. The last time I sat around an open fire was two years ago when we were visiting friends. Sitting around a fire pit is no where near being on my autumn bucket list. I don't really have an autumn bucket list.

7. Your favorite small town? Why?

My favorite small town is the town we live closest to. It's picture perfect especially during the winter when it could easily qualify as the picture for the front of a Christmas card.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Christmas pageant practice begins tonight. This year only Sunbeam qualifies for the age/grade bracket. She's excited, I'm feeling mixed emotions. How did we get to be old enough to have children too old to be part of the church Christmas pageant? Sniff, sniff.

12 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff is right! My nieces are in college and out working -- the days are long but the years are short! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas pageants, sniff sniff. Such sweetness. I will say having grown up daughters is far more wonderful than I imagined. Now I just need some grandchildren : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the days of the Christmas Pageants. I love Christmas and I love watching the programs. It's just better when I don't have to deal with the craziness of my kids in the pageants! ~smiles~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wait until they're all grown and gone and your GRANDCHILDREN are too old! Now that's sniffable. :-) I truly enjoy sitting around a campfire and roasting hot dogs and making s'mores, although with the fires this year in Washington, campfires have been banned most of the summer so we've missed out.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already starting to practice for the Christmas pageant! I'm not ready for Christmas yet. Would love to see a photo of your town. I love pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Christmas pageant, called Season of Light, has places for teens and adults too. Sadly, no one at our house is participating this year. But it is a wonderful production to see, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the video and song; I had not heard it before. Oh how I remember the Christmas programs my husband and Graded Choir leaders used to plan and prepare for. My children are now grown and I only have one grandchild young enough to participate. She has been involved in the huge Dallas Christmas Festival that her church, Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, Tx does for the past two years. Such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At the church we used to attend, we started practicing for our Christmas program in early September. I played flute in the orchestra. Adults and children were involved; it was quite something, and I miss it! I live in KY (hence my username). Our state flower is the goldenrod. It's really pretty when it blooms, but it's basically a weed that causes hay fever in the fall. Kentucky's just weird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - thinking of Christmas already sends shivers down my spine.
    Children too old for Christmas pageants? Time to start looking forward to grandchildren I guess. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love my school Christmas pageants, since the church was always so beautifully decorated, and we got to sing some classic carols!
    I'd never heard of Kathryn Scott. She has a beautiful voice! Is Christian music your favorite genre?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the concept of Christmas Pageants. I wish more places had them. Have fun and I love Kathryn Scott too. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas pageants sound like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.