Saturday, October 3, 2015

From the Bookshelf

   One of my favorite books when I was a young girl and one that our children now love as well, is the Old Squires Farm by C.A. Stephens. It's about six cousins that went to live with their grandparents in Maine, after the civil war had wrought sad havoc on their families.
     It's excellent as a read aloud since each chapter focuses on its own adventure the children had experienced. Stories of things like Grandma's dreaded vermifuge bottle she brought out when ever someone wasn't feeling quite right, and how they came up with a plan to make it bearable, which worked until the visiting minister arrived.
    A sleepwalking incident that went horribly, and yet hilariously wrong. A particularly cantankerous bull, a giant sled they built, how they had convinced a stranger to practice shearing sheep until Grandpa discovered what they were doing, and many, many more delightful tales of what life was like back in the 1800's.
    It holds a special place in our home library as one of the books that gets read and reread.

5 comments:

  1. Convinced me I need to read this :)
    I could use some humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. Same type of stories.

    Just the sort of book I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me a little of it too. A great family read, for sure!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of "Old Squire's Farm," but now I'll definitely check it out! I'm also a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.