Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or general uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-

unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

I would happily banish unpack if I could. The other words and phrases I don't hear often enough to get annoyed by them.

Words and phrases I would like to add to the list?  "And stuff" It's a phrase I hear over and over and over again. It gets to be somewhat grating, though this is the first I have mentioned it. Up until today I was trying to ignore it.

2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?

I'm going to purge a lot of things from the attic. It's just a little ridiculous to hang onto things that the only time I see them is when we clean the attic.

3. Where do you feel stuck?

I feel stuck in a certain writing project, but hopefully I'll get to figure it out.

Recently though I was literally stuck, thanks to snow and ice, a steep grade, and no four wheel drive.

4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?

The last time I had soup was a week or so ago when I prepared, from scratch, a big pot of chicken~n~dumpling soup. It's a family favorite.

I don't have a favorite canned soup. They all have a weird tinny after taste to me.

5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.

I have mixed feelings about this, but we're looking forward to Kenneth's graduation.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Every year the children will make an assortment of coupons as part of the Christmas gifts they give. The majority of which never get used for some unknown reason, because they all are really quite good.

It was Steven's dream to receive some, and since he's beginning to read his siblings each prepared a stack of coupons for him as well.

He was absolutely thrilled. Ah ... the heady feeling of power in his hands as he has wielded those coupons left and right. Games, books, stories, and more have been his steady diet as he hands off another coupon to be redeemed for his chosen activity.

He's down to 3 or 4 left. Never before have coupons been used so quickly in our family.

10 comments:

  1. I've been working on purging the attic since this past summer. It really does seem to make a difference even though I can't see it. I guess just knowing the junk is gone makes me feel better. I hope to have it all done by June. I won't climb up there so I have to wait on this man to bring things down and that takes longer than the purge itself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story about Steven. Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea for the grandkids in our family...coupons! Stay Warm!
    Happy New Year,
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will add the overused word "Amazing!" to the list. Always with the ! and usually for things that aren't all that amazing. And LOVE soup month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the coupons. We did this with our children too and they always loved it. One of the words that annoys me is "gifted". As in I gifted her with a book. Shouldn't it be "I gave her a book?" Maybe it's a new word and I missed the memo because everyone seems to be using it these days.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be purging too. Now if I can just keep away from those thrift stores and stop accumulating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think January brings on an urge to clean up and declutter.
    I too like the little story of Steven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The word "Honestly" when used at the beginning of a sentence I would like gone. It is said usually as somebody is telling what they did or thought....I would hope their stories are always honest. so why use "Honestly"?
    Good for Steven, cashing coupons before they get lost is smart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this. A new year is the perfect time to cluttered your home, your bad habits and why not, your language as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Betsy about the word "gifted". Last I looked it meant somebody with special talents - a gifted musician, for instance.

    My absolute pet peeve is the word "like". It means to be fond of, folks! I'll give you a pass on saying "it looks like rain", although my mum would have made you write "It looks as if it's going to rain" fifty times.

    And people who say "I'm good" when they mean "I'm well".

    And I'm on a roll! This is your blog, Mary Ann; I'll go rant in my own space.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.