Monday, January 29, 2018

First Day of School

     The semi had been unloaded and after the last people left for their homes, Mom told us we can explore the house while she starts making supper.

     There wasn't much to see downstairs since there were only two rooms. A kitchen/dining room and a living room. We went upstairs and found two bedrooms a large hallway and a bathroom. In the one bedroom there was a door, when we opened it we found a stairway that lead to the attic. We walked up the steps and then stood there and looked. There were piles of boxes and baskets of every shape, size, and color. We started looking at everything and long before we were ready Daddy came to find us and it was time to go eat. The attic would have to wait until some other day when he and Mom had time to sort through everything the previous owner had left behind.

     After supper they tucked us in bed. John and David had a room but my twin size bed was in the hallway so that it where I had to sleep. Mom said she would make curtains to go around my bed later but for now this was the best they could do.

     Morning came before I was ready. Mom packed a lunch for John and me and made sure our faces were clean. A few minutes later there was a knock at the door. Mom went to answer it, three boys were standing there each holding a lunch pail and wearing a straw hat. Their ears were bright red from the cold. Mom invited them inside and they introduced themselves. The oldest was Melvin, then Vernon, and the youngest LV.  Melvin visited politely with Mom as she got us ready for our cold walk to school. John wore his stocking cap and looked warm and cozy compared to the straw hats the boys were wearing.

     We started for school. The wind was cold but the sun was bright and almost hurt my eyes with the brightness of the fresh white snow. John and I were getting tired. A mile seemed like a long distance especially since we weren't used to it. Melvin and Vernon walked with us but after a few minutes LV gave us a disdainful look and marched on ahead.

     After what seemed like a long time we finally arrived just as the last bell was ringing. We hurried into the schoolhouse and hung our wraps on hooks the teacher pointed out to us. As everyone else found their seats John and I stood at the back not knowing what to do. The teacher smiled at us and said "My name is Hannah. We are all very happy to have you in school today. I have two desks that are waiting for a boy and girl to use." I liked her immediately and we followed her to our desks. I sat at the end of a long row and John sat at the very front. Right across the aisle from me sat LV. Since he was no longer wearing his hat I could see his hair and almost had to giggle. It was extremely curly and resembled a shelf. I looked around at the other children and then had to look at that hair again. LV must have realized I was looking at him more than necessary because he looked over and made a face and then went back to the project he was working on.

     When it was time to go home Melvin and Vernon once again walked patiently with us. LV didn't even bother trying but ran all the way and by the time we were on the top of the first little hill he was already disappearing from sight on a small dirt road almost half a mile ahead of us.

6 comments:

  1. Ah... ha ha ha!!! The first time I read these stories a few years ago, I had no idea how they'd end up. Now that I know, I love reading them even more. That little rascal LV!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I was thinking the same thing. It's fun knowing how it all worked our in the end. 😉

      Delete
  2. Love your story about your first day of school. Vivian Furbay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melvin, Vernon and.....LeRoy Vincent? Louis Vance? Luke Vernon?
    The initials LV remain a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like LV was a rascal when he was a child.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.