Saturday, January 27, 2018

A New Home

     During the night Daddy and John started for Pennsylvania, riding in the semi. Once morning arrived so did a station wagon pulling a horse trailer. Uncle Alvin helped load Jim and Jenny. We all said our good-byes and Mom helped David and me into our seats and we were on our way.

     After driving for six hours we arrived at our new home, in the middle of a typical Somerset County snow storm. The semi was parked beside the road in front of our house. There were horses and buggies everywhere and men were carrying boxes and furniture through the snow into the house.

     Daddy came and unloaded our horse and cow and lead them into a small red barn. Mom and we children went into the house. There were women everywhere, opening boxes and putting things into cupboards and where ever they felt was a good place.

     I stood inside the door and watched. I felt so small and I wanted desperately to go home. A little girl was sitting on our couch playing with our toys. Men were coming up the porch steps with more things and tracking snow into the house that melted into dirty puddles on the floor. A friendly teen aged girl stood at the door and opened and closed it for the men and tried to start a conversation with me, but I was too overwhelmed to respond. Finally I caught a glimpse of Grandma Mast in the kitchen. I hurried over to her and she got a drink of water for me and let me help her unpack a box of dishes. It felt good to be a part of the activity instead of only watching from the sidelines.

     When the semi was empty everyone started to go home. Finally there was only Grandpa Masts and one other family there. The lady was short and very friendly, she helped Mom get things into order in the kitchen and living room chatting pleasantly the entire time. I didn't pay too much attention to the conversation until I heard her state matter of factly that John and I should start school the next day and that her three boys would stop in the next morning and we can walk with them.

     In the excitement of moving I had completely forgotten that we would have to go to a new school and I was not thrilled at the prospect of doing so. Mom thanked the lady and assured her we would be ready by the time the boys came the next morning.

4 comments:

  1. Ouch. All this upheaval, a new home, and then going off to school without having a chance to even catch your breath? Whoosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a traumatic day for you! There is something very diconcerting to see all one's belongings on four wheels and traveling down a highway.

    Many hands make the work light when it comes to unpacking, but did it take months to finally find where each item was put? This happened when we moved. I ended up buying a new mixer after a week of searching for it, only to find the other one a half a year later (in a box marked kitchen) hidden deep in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops I meant disconcerting...only see my errors after I publish. Also disconcerting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother-in-law recently moved into an apartment. When we went over to visit him, he had sticky-notes on closet doors: boxed food, small appliances, silverware, etc.

      Of course, he's an engineer, and they do that sort of thing. At least, that was HIS explanation!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.