Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
 
1. Where have you found unexpected magic or delight this holiday season?

I haven't had any unexpected magic or delight this season, though I have been thoroughly enjoying it. The air of excitement and secrets, the making and wrapping of gifts, the evenings spent playing games, reading, and talking. The yummy treats we made and nibbled on. The music we've been listening to. The tree as it sparkles and glows in the corner of our living room. Watching our favorite Christmas movies, while eating popcorn and sipping hot chocolate. Sending and receiving Christmas cards. It's really been a delightful season so far!

2. What's your favorite type of holiday gathering? Will you/have you gathered in your favorite way this month?

My favorite type of holiday gathering is when all the family gets together for a Christmas meal. Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents all together enjoying good food and fellowship. We won't be gathered that way this month. We haven't in quite a number of years. I could get sad about that, but since we have our own family I simply focus on it, and look forward to many years of enjoying time together over the holidays.

3. Time has named 'The Silence Breakers' (women who came forward with stories of harassment)  'person of the year' for 2017. Would you agree? If not, who do you think deserves the title?

I won't go into too much on this subject, though it bothers me that it focuses only on women. There are a surprising amount of men that could step forward with their own #metoo stories, but don't.

4. How did you spend your time this year? Are you happy about that? Elaborate.

Our year was one with dizzying up and downs, surprise curve balls, and changes. Through it all though, God was our one constant. There are things that I wish would have been different, but also a lot that I'm thrilled about. I've learned to trust more, and to let go. I'm happy about that.

5. Bid farewell to 2017 in ten words or less.

You'll always be known as the year of plot twists.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

We've been doing the 12 Days of Christmas once again, this year. We had a number of years break from it, but I'm glad we're doing it again. It is a lot of fun.

13 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I lover your ten words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful day of celebrating His birth.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll have a lovely Christmas as well.

      Delete
  3. I like your 10 words. Every year seems to go by faster than the last one. Is the 12 days of Christmas a sort of game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the 12 days of Christmas isn't a game. We take the 12 days leading up to Christmas and do special things on each day. If you google it a lot of different ways to celebrate will come up. We have carved out our own set of things we enjoy doing for it.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family. It sounds as though you experiencing much delight by just doing your own pre-Christmas activities...sound like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! We've really been enjoying the Christmas season this year.

      Delete
  5. Please, please when sometime when you have the time (July maybe:) Could you share what it is you do for each day of the 12 days of Christmas?
    We were raised that the 12 days of Christmas were from Christmas Day until the Epiphany, Jan. 6th. We didn't do anything exceptional though. The tree came down on January 6th to officially end the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to share our version of the 12 days sometime.

      Yes, I am aware that the 12 days should officially run from Christmas Day to Jan. 6th, but we enjoy the gradual build up toward Christmas instead of the other way. There are some Amish communities that observe it properly, but we choose our own fun version. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a really good Hodgepodge. I love getting to know you!

    Merry Christmas to you and to your family. And, a side note -- I'm having a 10th blog anniversary drawing on Marmelade Gypsy which closes on Christmas. There are links to the sign-up post from whichever post you land on! Do enter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your ten words. My one regret is that 2017 went by way to quickly. Happy Holidays.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I bought two of your books for my granddaughter for Christmas. I made her a reading pillow too. I will send you a pic by email.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.