Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
 
1. What does/did Halloween look like at your house this year? Did you decorate? Pick pumpkins? Carve pumpkins? Expect trick or treaters? Wear a costume to a party or event? Make a costume? Feel glad you didn't have to come up with a costume? Cook a Halloween themed treat? Eat all the leftover candy?

It looks like any other normal day. We don't do anything to observe or celebrate it in any way. I'm glad I don't have to come up with costumes, and as far as candy goes I'm actually glad I don't have a whole pile of it here. We've been trying to scale back some on our sugar intake and having a lot of candy wouldn't help that cause.

2. What are you waiting for? Elaborate

For our ship to come in. :)

More realistically, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other celebrations. It's been years since we've done it, but we're considering doing the 12 Days of Christmas this year, or at least our version of it. We're on a bit of a countdown while waiting to kick things off.

3. Do you wish you were friendlier, braver, more creative, more athletic, or something else? Explain.

Friendlier ... I'd like to think I'm friendly. I feel that way inside, but does it translate to everyone I meet? I hope so.
Braver ... I suppose I could use a dash or two of added bravery in my life. I've surprised myself in certain circumstances of how brave I can be, but then I spy a mouse somewhere and am reduced to a pathetic pile of shrieks and shivers.
More creative ... I have quite a bit of creativity, actually more than I have the time to actually do something with it all.
More athletic ... That would be great. I'm not very athletic at all.
Something else ... there seems to always be room for growth and improvement in my life.

4. When it comes time to paint are you a do-it-yourselfer or do you hire someone? What was the last paint job completed at your house? What room most needs painting now? How do you feel about wallpaper?

I'm a do-it-yourselfer. The last paint job I did was seven years ago when I painted our entire house just a little before we moved. The room in our house that most needs painting is probably our school/dining room. I don't care for wallpaper. Our kitchen, living room, and laundry corner all have wallpaper. I can live with it, but I would never choose to wallpaper anything.

5. What is one specific thing you felt gratitude for in the month of October?

The lovely fall colors.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

I earned several blisters yesterday when I sharpened, by hand, all 181 of our pencil colors. Yes, I counted.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! A hundred and eighty-one pencils! That deserves a medal of some sort!

    I actually prefer wallpaper over paint; only the bedrooms are painted in our house.

    Mice and snakes don't bother me at all. I was never taught to be afraid of either one, and my nickname in high school was "The Mouse", so I'm inclined to be friendly toward them. And yes, people think I'm a little bit bats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish mice and snakes didn't bother me. None of us like snakes, but Sharon actually finds mice to be fascinatingly cute.

      Delete
  2. OMG... loved your answer to what you're waiting for. I'm waiting for my ship to come in too! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful where you dispose all of the pencil shavings...perfect mouse nest material (just kidding :).
    You are so kind to share so much goodness with us. I would love to hear more about specifically how you plan to celebrate the twelve days of Christmas with your family or perhaps you plan to share as each day comes along. Thanks.

    Waiting for your ship to sail in made me think of the song "I saw three ships come sailing in on Christmas Day...in the morning."

    Your writings stir good memories. Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pencil shavings have been carefully disposed of, so no worries of mice finding them. :)

      I may have to share about our 12 Days of Christmas either as we do it, or a wrap up post once it's been done, or maybe a post sharing our plans for it at the beginning of December so anyone who is interested can follow along as well. Hmmm ... decisions decisions.

      Delete
  4. Wow...181 colored pencils! Wow! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!! Somehow they keep adding up over the years.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, that is a lot of pencil sharpening!! I need to think about the holidays and how I want them to look this year. They are coming fast and I am still in summer mode : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of sharpening!

      I'm looking forward to the holidays, though they do seem to have approached very quickly this year.

      Delete
  6. When our children were still at home we celebrated Advent and how I enjoyed the challenge of involving the children.
    I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love reading your answers but I hardly ever comment. Being braver regarding snakes, mice... I would add large spiders to that. Struck a chord... I heard something in the ceiling last night. Not too happy about that! Congratulations on the 181 pencils... I would have turned that job over to one of the kids, but then, again, you may have wanted more pencil left when each was done. HAHA! Happy November! Let the snow flurries fly! (just flurries)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing mice in the walls and ceiling gives me the shivers.

      Sharpening the pencils started innocently enough. Steven needed one sharpened, and then I saw another one that needed it, and so I kept going until all that needed sharpening were done. It gave me something to do as I supervised his schoolwork.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of pencils! But good work done. They just multiply, don't they?

    What fun answers and a good way to get to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pencils have this weird way of multiplying, and subtracting. Seems when I need one I can't find one, and then when I go to sharpen them there's lots. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.