Monday, November 20, 2017


      My Mom's sister Lydia and her family lived on a farm not too far from us. They also had a small bulkfood store, and whenever we needed flour or sugar Mom would hitch up Jim to the top buggy and we would drive over to them. John and I liked when the weather was warm enough that Mom put the storm front up and we could stand in the front of the buggy holding onto the dashboard. It was fun watching Jim's feet on the road and try to catch his tail when ever he swished it.
      We usually stayed for a few hours as Mom helped Lydia with whatever she had going, and John and I played with our cousins. Since there was only a few months difference in our ages, we had some of the best times whenever we got together.
      One day on our way home John and I were chattering away in our normal fashion, but Mom was not joining in as usual. When we turned around we noticed tears on her cheeks and we of-course wanted to know what was wrong. She said "Lydia has cancer."
      We had no idea what cancer was, but if it made Mom cry it must be bad.
      From then on we went over several times a week, Mom would do whatever work she could and make meals and do the laundry for them as Lydia got very weak and couldn't work at all.
      Cousin Emma was no longer as much fun. She always looked sad, and often when we arrived she had her dress on backwards so that she could button it herself. Mom would first make sure that all their children were clean and properly dressed before doing the days work.
     Then late one night uncle Alvin stopped in. He was carrying a tiny baby boy. He handed him to Mom. He talked a little and then went off into the night again. We fixed up the bassinet for the baby and Mom let me help fix his bottles. He was the cutest little baby.
      Alvin stopped in once a day with their children to see the baby, on their way to Grandpas where they would stay while he went to the hospital to be with Lydia. Since she had her baby the doctor's could finally do something for the cancer.
     By the time baby Reuben was three months old Lydia had won the battle with cancer and we had to give the baby back to his rightful home. That was hard as we were all quite attached to him by then. But we were all very happy that Lydia was going to be fine.


  1. Praise God for sparing her life! What a wonderful comfort it must have been for her to know that she didn't have to worry about her baby while she was receiving treatments.

  2. Thank you for sharing your life stories with us. It must have been such a hard time for all of you while it was going on - but what a lovely ending. God is good.

  3. I'm so glad this story had a happy ending and your aunt was able to come back home and care for her family again.

  4. I'm so glad to hear that Lydia did well. As I read, I was steeling myself for a sad ending. What a blessing to hear how it all turned out.

  5. At least it all turned out good in the end.☺

  6. I'm loving your stories! I'm going to get a couple of your books for my granddaughter for Christmas. I'm making her a reading pillow.

  7. What a wonderful happy ending to read today.

  8. Wow. What a lovely story. I would imagine that special bond with Reuben was lifelong.

  9. Wow! What an amazing story, and what a sacrifice (for both families) -- one, to give the baby up for a time, and the other, to give him back.


Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.