Monday, May 16, 2011

Little Brother Helper

  It was challenging to try to juggle all of my work during canning seasons, especially with two little children and lots of animals.

  On my busiest days I could count on having my little brother Mahlon to come and help out. Sailor and Rosy both adored him so his job of keeping them entertained while I worked wasn't very hard.

   He seemed to enjoy those days as well and while the children were down for a nap he had multiple little projects around the farm that he was free to pursue to his hearts content. One of his dreams was to own an ant farm and when he discovered a big ant hill in the barnyard he spent a lot of time trying to find the queen to start his own little colony. He wasn't successful, but it didn't curb his enthusiasm. I enjoyed having him there. Little brothers with all their fun ideas and experiments kept life interesting and I couldn't help but wonder what all would be in store once Sailor got to be a little older.

   I was presented with this recipe by Mahlon one afternoon when he was helping. Though it doesn't stand the slightest chance of ever being made I will always treasure it. Seeing it always takes me back to a warm summer day when my little brother thought he finally found the ultimate gross out for his older sister.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Sweet Friend...
    What a beautiful heart felt share this morning. I so enjoyed reading it.

    Love, LOVE that recipe. A treasure to keep forever, and one day you two will sit and laugh and laugh. Such joy for your cup to spill over with love.

    Many hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning. I loved your brothers recipe. The imaginations of the young ones are so great and sometimes so very funny. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brother's note reminds me of the many years I taught third grade. "First" was often "fist" or "frist".
    A classic example of third grade wrting: "A loin roared at the gril and her bog". The bog darked and the loin ran awey."
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...little boys! Gotta love them! How wonderful to have kept his recipe, and to have had him as a helper!


    Carolyn, I had a spelling test in an early grade, and the word I misspelled was 'shirt'. I left out the "R" and was QUITE embarressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww little boys and their humor...the grosser the better as far as they are concerned! Very cute post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about boys trying to gross people out? :) This is priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting recipe! And it certainly is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little brother had quite an imagination for recipes back then. No wonder your children adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great is that ? no wonder you kept it thats a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine juggling all that you did with little ones underfoot. How wonderful to have your brother come and help!

    And that recipe certainly is sweet, but not in the way that would make me want to eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this recipe! It could have been written by my middle boy ... the one who left a little note for me on my pillow on night, ... a note with a locust shell on it ;-) "The note read, we are cold." and was 'signed' by Sleepy, Chilly, Scratchy and a few other names. It wasn't until morning that I found the "other" locust shells UNDER my pillow!!! What a boy :-\

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boys just love grossing people out, don't they? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a little boy for you. My 7½-year-old son drew a picture of a very unappetizing-looking sandwich, and wrote the following description: "withered, very, very icky, sour, spicy, flavorless, burnt, moldy sandwish (I left the misspelling of that last word on purpose)." He spelled everything else correctly all on his own. I can promise you that his three older sisters never drew such pictures when they were his age. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.