Monday, April 12, 2010

Thank-you

After reading all your answers we have come to the conclusion that we will continue to teach  our children to use Mr. and Mrs. when talking about or to our non-Amish friends. Maybe with some more practise it will come to feel like the proper way, and hopefully it will make it easier for our children if they ever have a family of their own.

I find it very interesting how different cultures have there own ways of determining what is acceptable and what isn't. For example: The community my husband and I were raised in, it was considered highly improper for men and women to visit with each other if they weren't related. And children did not address or start a conversation with grown ups.

When we moved to this area we soon learned that there those guidelines of conduct were unheard of and I found it very annoying when children came to talk to me and ask me to hold Sunbeam, who at that time was only several weeks old. There were many other things but they can wait to be discussed until a later date.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer my question.

7 comments:

  1. I can't imagine children not coming up to me and talking to me. Some of my greatest joys are conversing with children. It is how they learn. Of course, we try to teach our children not to be disruptive when adults are talking to each other.

    I used to hate being called Miss Kate because I'm married. I'm NOT a miss. But it is a common address in my church and among many friends so I got used to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're comfortable with your decision, if not the practice!

    I grew up calling adults Mr. or Mrs. LastName and teach my children to do so, too. That is, unless someone specifically asks to be called something else.

    Thank you, though, for yet another inside view of Amish customs!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an eye opener. Amish or Mennonite, I've never heard of a community where it is okay to visit someone of the opposite sex if you are not related. You must live in Pinecraft. (Just kidding)

    Working in a public place, it is a little disconcerting when children come up to me and start a conversation. But more and more, I find it sort of flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very hard to get used to something that you're not used to. Does that make sense? My husband's family is Italian which means a kiss and a hug every time we see them...each and every one of them. Uhhhh, not real comfortable with that!! A hug? Sure. A kiss? Not so much. I don't feel like I need to kiss my brother-in-law every time I see him. It's all cheek kisses, but it's still awkward for me - and we've been married 22 years. They're the opposite and get offended when people don't do it. I guess there are as many ways to do it as there are people. I just wish everyone would do it my way! HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I apparently missed all the good conversing about this and will have to look back. But I just have to tell you a couple of things. I don't like children to address me by my first name. I am Mrs. So-and-so. Once they are 18, I try to remember to introduce myself as Robynn but it's so ingrained I STILL use Mrs.

    As far as kids approaching me to talk....well, I ADORE kids and would be heartbroken if they didn't. I have taught all ages of Sunday School from nursery through college and kids have shared the greatest wisdom to date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 42 and I still call my mom's friends, "Mrs. Diane" and "Mrs. Arlene". My aunt and mother call my grandmother's friends (in their 80's)the same way,"Mrs. Ruthie" or "Mrs. Lori". I think it was a Polish tradtional thing as the friends who spoke mostly Polish were called "Pani" meaning "Mrs" and then their first name: "Pani Jean".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting posts on what to call adults. I am not very familiar with Amish so that was all very new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.