Monday, September 27, 2010

Proposal

As our store kept getting busier Mom spent more and more time with customers while I went ahead with all the other work.

By the time I was eighteen the housework and garden was primarily my responsibility. I didn't mind and enjoyed working. my youngest brothers enjoyed tagging along and helping in any way they could. We spent days together singing as we weeded and hoed the garden and then harvesting and canning the vegetables.

Every Monday when I did the laundry they would hand me the pieces to hang on our pulley line clothes line. Standing on the front porch to hang up all the clothes I could see the customers as they came and went from the store, but I didn't pay too much attention to them as I kept  working.

One Monday as I was hanging up clothes Mom came out of the store and asked me to come, that there was a woman there that wanted to talk to me. I left the rest of the wet laundry in the basket and went to the store to see what she wanted.

As I entered the store the woman introduced herself to me and then came right to the point. She had been coming to our store frequently and was impressed how it seemed that I really enjoyed working. Her son, she continued was old enough to get married, and she wanted me to promise to be his bride. They would provide the wedding just as soon as I could get ready.

I was speechless, and then noticed her son sitting on a chair behind her looking uneasy as if he wished he could be any where except there. I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him.

It didn't take me long to tell his mother that I was very happy being courted by LV and that I would not be accepting her offer. As I went back to my work I had plenty of time to think. I felt disappointed that my first marriage proposal was weird.

When there was a break in the customers Mom came into the house and told me how sorry she was and that she had no idea that was what that woman had wanted when she asked to talk to me. After I assured her I was okay we both had a good laugh as we headed out to the garden to work together till the next customer came.

25 comments:

  1. That was a funny proposal but it sure says a lot about the kind of person that you are. Do you ever wonder about the guy? I hope he is happy with the bride his mom found for him!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that poor boy...wonder if his mother found him a bride or if he got to find his own???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my word, how wild and crazy! I was hoping as I read along that you didn't agree to her proposal. Can you imagine being married to someone whose mom did everything for him? Gracious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHMYGOODNESS. What a story! I'd like to think that the woman admired MORE than your industriousness alone! Don't you wonder what became of the poor boy whose mother proposed for him?!

    Love your stories so much!
    XOXO
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure that qualifies as a marriage proposal? Sounds like more of an orchestrated arrangement to me. How weird! I'm glad you were able to laugh over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it an Amish lady or an English lady? I can't imagine an Amish lady putting herself forward like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's too funny - sounds more like she wanted a maid for her son than a wife. Can you imagine her for a mother-in-law?? Yowza. I'm glad you were mature enough to keep a straight face in his presence! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- that was quite something!
    I was wondering what happened to that poor boy, too. I'm in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. bet your were secretly glad to find out your hard work did not go unnoticed,even tho that would have awful to go through but funny later

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I was reading this entry, all excited that I'd finally get to read about LV's proposal. Big surprise for me! Wow....I can't imagine such a woman for a mother-in-law! Poor kid. I wonder who his mother ended up choosing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!!! That was funny.
    Is that a common occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL!!! That was funny.
    Is that a common occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning!
    What an amazing story...but after visiting an Amish store this weekend...I can see how this could occur. We have an amish community in Maine...and we were at a fair this weekend when we happen to stop by the store. I was watching people interact with the amish...it was almost as if they were celebrities or something. It must get to be a bit too much for them at times. But I too was impressed with their work ethic...it was a true testimony of their faith.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine: No, it was not an Amish lady.

    Dana: No, it was not a common occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems strange someone would ask that...but guess you never know...love reading your stories...thanks so much for continuing to share them with us....did you ever think of writing a book and sharing them that way....so many are interested in the Amish way of life...I am reading Beverly Lewis' books now and they are wonderful...blessings on your dear family....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you ever read the Anne of Green Gables books? It reminds me of Anne's first proposal (although, in that case, she did at least have a nodding acquaintance with the prospective groom.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you ever read the Anne of Green Gables books? It reminds me of Anne's first proposal (although, in that case, she did at least have a nodding acquaintance with the prospective groom.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you ever read the Anne of Green Gables books? It reminds me of Anne's first proposal (although, in that case, she did at least have a nodding acquaintance with the prospective groom.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What on earth?!! Your life is going along as always, and out of the blue comes something as wild and crazy as that!

    I am amazed at your poise in that situation.

    I love the comments about wondering who Mama picked instead. They made me chuckle.

    Great story! Someday you'll be telling your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol, I can pretty much empathize, because something similar happened to me, once. Only it was at a church and the lady's son was middle-aged, divorced and not even there! I had actually hoped that no one else in the world had to be subjected to that kind of experience, but I guess people are pretty much the same everywhere you go. I'm glad you could laugh at the time, though. I was in shock and my parents were horrified. I reckon now that I'm safely married, it's kind of funny.

    Happy Fall:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. People are so amazing! I feel sorry for that boy especially because he will have to deal with his overbearing mother all his life and I really pity the poor girl that marrys him - momma is going to be in their business 100% of the time! I wonder if she approached anyone else in your community like this? You handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That did seem odd because that woman should have talked to your parents first before presenting you with such a proposal since you were still so young...very interesting to have been part of that time.

    Nice post. Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting story; sounds like arranged marriages common in India. It works for them.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a strange proposal, but it does make for an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.