Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Cooking as a Newlywed

     The day after our wedding as LV and I were packing up our wedding gifts to move into our home we came across a pretty glass casserole dish with a divider down the center.
    LV picked it up and said, "Oh! I'm already looking forward to eating the casseroles you'll make in this dish."
    I tucked that bit of information away as we finished packing everything up.
    Fresh meats and vegetables weren't an option for us the majority of the time back then. We grew all our own food, but it was canned. Recipe books were used for desserts not main course.
    Several evenings after setting up our house I was trying to come up with a plan for supper. I decided to make that casserole LV had been looking forward to.
    I filled the one half with mashed potatoes. I drained a can of green beans and dumped them in the other half, poured a beef gravy over both, and popped it in the oven.
    I served it with a smile, and he ate it without a single word of complaint.
    I still laugh when I think of it.

9 comments:

  1. Those early days of cooking were interesting! I had to ask my meighbour how to cook a chicken! I bet your 'casserole' tasted pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t even want to go back to those dishes I made at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been cooking for almost a decade when I got married, so there was no big learning curve for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things my husband has eaten! And not complained even once. He always tells me it's delicious. We've got a couple of "good guys".
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your stories. Keep sharing them. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I met my husband, pretty much all he ate was fried meat, likely venison, a few eggs, a little bread, and potatoes. Anything I made him was a hit. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mum didn't like anybody in her kitchen, so the only things I knew about cooking were what I learned in Home Ec. class. Some of the things I made early one were pretty - um, I guess you could call them "interesting".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking of my first microwave meal. I had gotten a microwave and I had some chicken. I thought my mom made chicken in the microwave. I am pretty sure there was a recipe too. Boy was I surprised when we couldn't eat it because it was like rubber! I'm sure it could bounced off the floor if dropped! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the kinds of things I used to cook when left to cook for myself and my brother when I was a teenager. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.