Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Reader Hodgepodge

1. Do you eat dinner at noon or for the evening meal or do you eat dinner and supper?

We have lunch at noon and supper for our evening meal. If the evening meal involves guests, or is fancier for some reason we will call it dinner.

2. Have your children attended an Amish church service and what do they think about it?

Our three oldest children used to attend Amish church services with us regularly before we left. Steven attended an Amish wedding with us this summer. Their wedding services are very similar to their regular church services. He didn't care for it.

3. I was wondering what happens, in the Amish community, when both parents die? Do they have a will or something in writing that makes their wishes known regarding their children and who they live with or what happens to them? If they had a lot of children, would they be able to stay together, or would they be split up?

If the parents had a will, and mentioned where they wish their children to live, people would try to honor that. If they died without a will other family members would step up to give the children a home, without splitting them up.

4.  My questions are about your children, who seem to enjoy learning and seem to be bright kids. Are any of them interested in college? If so, would you allow them to go? I have read about the Amish children taking time to explore the world before "settling down". Will your children do that? 

At this point, none of them seem interested in attending a traditional college. Kenneth is thinking about going the technical route to become certified in his field of interest. And yes, we will allow him to do so.

The whole thing about Amish children taking time to explore the world before settling down, is simply not true. Do some teenagers leave? Yes. But the parents are heartbroken. The church teaches against leaving the Amish. 

5. I wondered if money and time were not a factor, What country would you visit and why.

For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to visit Switzerland. Partly because of the book, Heidi, partly because of the scenery, and partly I'm sure because it is the land of my ancestors.

I would also love to be able to visit Israel. To see the places I have only ever heard about in the Bible. To walk the places where my precious Saviour walked, and see the river where he was baptized, and maybe take a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee.

Random bit.

Rain, rain, and more rain. It makes for excellent puddles to jump in for Buddy, and keeps the waterfall thundering as it rushes the water in the creek on its way.

Yesterday Steven was standing by the window looking out at the pouring rain and said. "Mom, come look! Don't you love the way the raindrops dance on the road?"

Yes, yes I do!

And I also love that our children seem to have inherited my love of rainy days.

5 comments:

  1. Both of my grandfathers, as well as my first husband, worked 4 to 12 shifts, so we've pretty much always had our main meal in the middle of the day. Even now that we are both retired, we really prefer not to eat too much too late at night.

    Switzerland is also on my list of places to go. I even took French in high school so I would be able to live there. We spoke German at home, so I was all set! Never have gotten there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing things through a child's eyes is always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were some good and interesting questions and answers. I would like to see a Biblical country too.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain on the roof is one of my favorite things - though we've had too much of it here lately! (I'm not in the path of the hurricane or tornadoes but we've had just too much rain.)

    Switzerland sounds like a lovely place to visit! My ancestors come from there too.

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also called it lunch and supper when I was growing up and still do. I have traveled some in Europe and Asia and I prefer my own home to any others, although I enjoy learning the history of places we’ve visited. For me the saying that there is no place like home is very true.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.