Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Irene

    One of the highlights of every month was the day Irene came. Irene was a lady that loved yard-saling and made her own little business of buying anything she thought the Amish might be interested in which she then organized and loaded in the back of her vehicle and drove from one Amish home to the next to sell the treasures she had found.

    One Saturday we were canning peaches when I looked out the window and saw Irene's familiar blue vehicle pull into our driveway. "Irene is here." I called to Mom. She set the pan of peaches aside and washed her hands and asked me to come with her to see what Irene has today.

    On the way out she told that I did a really good job baby sitting Mahlon all summer and I can choose whatever I want and she will buy it for me.

    I was thrilled. It would be the first time I ever was allowed to choose something to buy. Irene opened the back of her vehicle and there before my eyes was the most beautiful selection of dishes and toys that I had ever seen. There was so much to choose from I thought I could never make up my mind. There were beautiful china dishes with pink  flowers and lovely water and berry sets. And then I saw it. The perfect thing. A cute sugar and creamer set that were standing on a little platter. I knew immediately that is what I want. I pointed it out to Mom and said that is what I want. She asked me if I'm sure, that I can choose anything at all. But I had made up my mind that was what I wanted.

 
    Mom bought it and I carried it carefully to my room and set it on top of the curio. I was so pleased to be the owner of some nice dishes. It was several years later before it dawned on me that I might not have made the wisest choice when I chose that humble little set from all the beautiful dishes available. But I still love it.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes things speak to us and I'm sure that's what happened with this beautiful sugar and creamer set. Those were part of our tables back in the day. Never see them anymore.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's sweet, and such a lovely memory for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I think it the cutest little set you could of ever gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you still have the set - just shows it really was the perfect choice you made! By the way, Happy Birthday, Mary Ann - hope you have a wonderful day!! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! You made a wonderful choice-- and how nice that you still have the set.😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother once made me the same sort of offer, and I made the same sort of choice. My set is pewter, but the same cream and sugar, on a little tray And it still warms my heart when I take it out of the china closet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a beautiful set. I'm sure it was a great privilege to be allowed to choose any item you wished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I smiled when I saw your beautiful set because I have one that is practically the same! I always buy and look for cut glass at thrift stores and yard sales and I make sure to use it on my holiday tables to make things a little special with old fashioned elegance. You made a great choice and it's so nice you still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you still have it! What a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great choice. I think this cut glass style is nice no matter the 'season/fad'. And what a great memory of your kind mother *and Ms. Irene*, as well.
    Tammy, from Untangling the skein, blogspot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.