Thursday, April 12, 2012

Memories

As I cuddle and care for Buddy I can't help but wonder what his earliest memory will be that he will remember for the rest of his life. Babies are much more aware of everything around them than what we give them credit for often and some more than others. Sailor can remember a few things from when he was still a baby while Rosebud and Sunbeam's earliest memories are from when they were several years old.

My earliest memory is just a little tidbit but at the time I was so terrified that it has retained a permanent place in my file of memories.

I was only seven months old and we were visiting some of my parents friends out of state. We were all sitting at the supper table. I was sitting on Mom's lap and everyone was so busy visiting they weren't paying as much attention to the food they were eating.

A fawn came over to the table and ate a noodle from Mom's plate. I did not like animals at all and was absolutely terrified. Some one jumped up and shooed the fawn out the door but I could hardly cling tight enough to Mom for the rest of the meal.

I asked Mom about this memory and she confirmed that it really did happen. Their friends had adopted a baby fawn after its mother had been hit on the road by their house and yes it really had eaten something from her plate though she couldn't remember if it had been a noodle.

~~~~~
I was in a yellow walker while Mom and Daddy were eating. I happened to noticed the corner of Daddy's big red handkerchief peeping out of his pocket and I went over and pulled it out and then quickly ran away with it.

Mom and Daddy laughed and Daddy got down on his hands and knees and chased me and retrieved his stolen handkerchief and sat at the table again this time leaving the corner of his handkerchief sticking out on purpose.

I got it again and ran away as fast as I could squealing and laughing with Daddy in pursuit. The walker was a little hard to maneuver in some corners and I couldn't run as fast as I wanted to. And it wasn't long before Daddy had caught me again.

~~~~~

I was sitting on the kitchen counter while Mom was dishing out all the food for lunch. She had given me a little dish with some mashed potatoes in it and I was eating them when Daddy came in to wash up.

Mom had to draw Daddy's attention to their little daughter and exclaimed happily how big I was getting and how perfectly clean I stayed while eating.

She turned her back to dish something else out while Daddy went to wash up and I solemnly took a spoon full of potatoes and spread it all over my face. "I spoke too soon," Mom said as she cleaned me up and for some odd reason I felt satisfied with what I had done.

5 comments:

  1. What lovely memories. My earliest is from about 3 years and its is standing in the back yard of the house we lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my earliest memories are from when I was 3 and we moved into the house my dad was building. I have some earlier ones of our previous house, but I'm not sure how "real" they are!

    I don't know about my kids. I'll have to ask them now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember one memory when I was sitting in a high chair, so I'm guessing I was what, two or under maybe? My sister needed glasses and was squinting all the time and I guess I started squinting like her and I remember the family laughing and coming up to me to make me do it again. And I remember the high chair I was sitting in was yellow. Other than that, the rest probably started when I was about 3 or 4. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you have a memory from when you were so young. This makes me think of my grandkids, babies now, and wonder what they will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of trouble deciding if I really remember certain things or if I only think I do because I've been told the stories so many times. my earliest memory that I'm sure is mine is from when I was three and interviewing at a nursery school. I liked the teacher and thought the buttons on her sweater looked like mints; they were white and matte and I wanted to eat one.

    I just love your writing, Mary Ann!
    thank you so much for sharing your memories, all of them, but especially these early, sweet ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.