Monday, November 21, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

So far I have never had a pumpkin pie that I didn't like, but there is one that stands out above the rest. It may be a little more time comsuming to make but the end results are so worth it! It used to be one of our favorite pie while I was growing up. It even made it's way into the books I'm writing, in an unforgettable incident which I'm sure you will enjoy reading about later

With Thanksgiving knocking on the door it's the perfect time of year to make some. I was feeling overly ambitious on Saturday and actually managed to make these pie and then sought out my usual corner to rest and congratulate myself at my accomplishment. I think I understand now why my mother was so pleased with herself for baking 13 pie a few weeks before one of my brothers was born. And though I only made three it still felt like a major accomplishment!


Notice the layers?

Pumpkin Pie

1½ cup pumpkin
1½ cup white sugar
1½ cup brown sugar
4½ Tbsp. flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs, separated
4½ cup milk

In a large bowl combine pumpkin, sugars, spices, salt, and flour. Mix well. Separate the eggs. Reserve the whites in a small bowl and add the yolks to your pumpkin mixture. Mix well. Add milk and mix again.  Now beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold evenly into pumpkin mixture. Divide into three 9 or 10 inch unbaked pie crusts. I prefer using this recipe to make the crusts.

Bake in a preheated 350ยบ oven for 45 minutes.

Delicious!

7 comments:

  1. The pie looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    I'm starting to feel the countdown crunch for Thanksgiving, too.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I love just about anything pumpkin. I look forward to this time of the year so when I get gas in my car I sometimes treat myself to pumpkin cappuccino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou! I've been searching for the perfect pumpkin pie recipe and this just might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard about pumpkin pie but never had it. It's not made here in Australia.
    Pity, because pumpkin is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin… pie, custard, ice cream… I’ve been experimenting with recipes that sweeten it with honey. The challenge I have is with the crust. Do you know how to make and bake a crust that does not end up soggy at the bottom and sides?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an undying devotion to pumpkin, and that pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made three of these pies with your
    recipe. It is delicious. I might decreased the sugar a little next time. Warning! This pie will not last long and is not good for the waistline.lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.