Monday, June 4, 2018

Withdraw Thy Foot

Teacher Hannah had each of us students in school memorize a verse from the Bible each week and required us to recite it on Friday afternoon. Anyone who could do it perfectly would get a small prize. I used to spend lots of time rehearsing and practicing to make sure I would get my weekly prize.

One week we had to memorize a verse out of Proverbs. I brought the reference home and Mom helped me find it in the Bible and after she had read it she said something about what a nice verse it was and that we should have it on our wall.

That was all I needed to hear. I got a piece of paper and a blue permanent marker. I carefully copied the verse and tacked it on the wall above the kitchen table. After I was done I read a little more and was intrigued how each verse in Proverbs had it's own little nugget of wisdom and asked Mom if she minds if I find more verses to copy then we could rotate them and not be tired of any of them.

She gave me permission and I set to work to find verses that I especially liked. When Saturday came I happily removed my first verse and tacked up a new one. I noticed Mom and Daddy seemed a little amused at my choice but they didn't say anything.

The next day was our inbetween Sunday and much to our delight Mom's younger brother John Henry and his family came. He was a very special uncle and visits from them were always a treat. We were all having a good time when Mom suggested we all move to the kitchen for snacks and popcorn. As we settled on our chairs and resumed visiting John Henry got to his feet and said, "Well, I think it's time we head for home."

We were all surprised and then Mom noticed that he was reading the verse I had tacked to the wall which read. "Withdraw thy foot from thy neighbors house lest he grow weary of thee and so hate thee." She quickly assured him that we weren't tired of their company and that I had chosen that verse for this weeks motto.

He settled back in his chair and the rest of the afternoon passed swiftly. And once they were heading home Mom suggested that I find another verse that wouldn't risk offending anyone.

8 comments:

  1. That is quite a funny story! I wonder if I placed that in my home if people would think the same thing. I would not mind if some would take the hint and leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot! Growing up on Cape Cod, our summers were filled with family and friends coming for weeks at a time. We sure could have used that verse! Ha! Actually those memories of visitors are some of my very best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! What a funny story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good verse to put on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chuckled when I read about the verse you chose. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or: "Whew, I thought they'd never leave," she said, as the visitor's car pulled away. 😏

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.