Thursday, May 8, 2014

Emery Cloth

Every Saturday I enjoyed helping Mom with the Saturday cleaning. Dusting the furniture was fun, washing the windows, and rubbing the drying cloth over them hard enough to make a squealing sound never lasted long enough, shaking the rugs was something I dreamed of doing until I was actually old enough to do it and found out it wasn't nearly as fun as it appeared to be.

The one part of cleaning that I detested from as far back as I can remember was taking the dreaded piece of emery cloth and cleaning the top of our wood cook stove.

It made my fingernails feel weird, the sound made me shiver, and it was hard work pressing that cloth as hard as you could against the stove top will rubbing it carefully in one direction.

As much as I enjoyed being Mom's right hand helper, I had a way of disappearing when the emery cloth came out. If nothing else, a bathroom excuse always worked.


8 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at this post because every time I ask my youngest son to do chores around the house he ends up in the bathroom for a very long time. It has become a joke in house.. so now I just tell him he needs to clean the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wise! Can't really hide from the chore of cleaning the bathroom by going there to hide out. :)

      Delete
  2. This made me laugh Mary Ann !!! There is ALWAYS that one chore that we all hate doing !!! And, yes, the bathroom excuse is STILL the top !! Who can deny us that .... right ..... again, always so fun reading along with you my friend .... Happy day to you full of blessings xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how using the bathroom excuse seems to be pretty universal?!

      Delete
  3. That's funny. My little sister knew how to work the bathroom excuse very well, when it came time to do the supper dishes every evening. =) Made me smile. Enjoyed your post. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirty dishes seem to have that affect on a lot of people!

      Delete
  4. My least favorite task has always been cleaning the bathroom. But it has to be done so I just get on with the job. My sister used the bathroom excuse several times a week when the dinner dishes needed washed. I guess that is the universal get out of work excuse.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a tried and true excuse that works the majority of the time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.