Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A New Home

During the night Daddy and John started for Pennsylvania, riding in the semi. And once morning came so did a a station wagon pulling a horse trailer. Uncle Alvin helped load Jim and Jenny. We all said our good-byes and Mom helped David and me into our seats and we were on our way.

After driving for six hours we arrived at our new home, in the middle of a typical Somerset County snow storm. The semi was parked beside the road in front of our house. There were horses and buggies everywhere and men were carrying boxes and furniture through the snow into the house.

Daddy came and unloaded our horse and cow and lead them into a small red barn. Mom and we children went into the house. There were women everywhere, opening boxes and putting things into cupboards and where ever they felt was a good place.

I stood inside the door and watched. I felt so small and I wanted desperately to go home. A little girl was sitting on our couch playing with our toys. Men were coming up the porch steps with more things and tracking snow into the house that melted into dirty puddles on the floor. A friendly teen aged girl stood at the door and opened and closed it for the men and tried to start a conversation with me but I was too overwhelmed to respond. Finally I caught a glimpse of Grandma Mast in the kitchen. I hurried over to her and she got a drink of water for me and let me help her unpack a box of dishes. It felt good to be a part of the activity instead of only watching from the sidelines.

When the semi was empty everyone started to go home. Finally there was only Grandpa Masts and one other family there. The lady was short and very friendly, she helped Mom get things into order in the kitchen and living room chatting pleasantly the whole while. And then stated matter of factly that John and I should start school the next day and that her three boys would stop in the next morning and we can walk with them.

In the excitement of moving I had completely forgotten that we would have to go to a new school and I was not thrilled at the prospect of doing so. Mom thanked the lady and assured her we would be ready by the time the boys came the next morning.

11 comments:

  1. Great memories.
    You have inspired me to try and remember things that happened in my childhood.
    They are so important and meaningful.
    Can't wait for your next "chapter"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is so interesting, I can't wait to read more.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along the same lines of what Cherie said...it has made me take a look at my childhood too. But I am afraid that I may "remember" the things that I needed to forget...NOW, I am realizing I need to remember so I can heal. The past has kept me down too long...it is time to be set free.
    In a strange way your stories are helping me to heal and find the peace that I have longed for. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have taken a few minutes to read some of your posts. I love your blog... I am so glad to meet you and will be back for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good idea for the kids to begin school right away after a move, before there's time for the dread of meeting new kids to go on for long...
    Hope it all worked out well for you and your brother. I'm hooked on reading the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have wanted to go to school the next day either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving is always stressful, but it is for children too. And starting a new school is always difficult. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can imagine of moving to ne place in your childfood.
    For even child,it might be scarely.
    so i guess you strongly remember that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a fascinating story. Have you thought about writing a book?
    Moving is such a hard thing for a child to go through, no wonder you felt small.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember being little and how I felt when other people I didn't know were playing with my toys. It's very confusing, especially if they play with them differently than you like to. I didn't move until I was 22, so I didn't have a very hard time adjusting. HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog and stories.
    I have a few questions...

    Are you in touch with any of your family anymore?
    Was your husband Amish? If so, did you leave the Amish life together?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.