Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Currently ...

 Reading ... in the Bible, this morning ... Philippians. 

In other books I have both of Peggy Rowe's books here waiting on me to dive in. I borrowed them from the library and they're due back on Saturday, so I'm hoping to get to them soon.

I'm having a harder time the last while simply reading for pleasure, but I have been enjoying stacks of non-fiction books on various topics of interest. Those include straw bale gardening, foraging for mushrooms, basket weaving, and of course lots of cookbooks.

Writing ... my writing has mostly consisted of writing letters to my Dad. 

I have attempted working on my in progress book, but found it frustrating, difficult, and hard to focus, so it has been pushed to the back burner, so to speak.

Watching ... a nature show called Eden: Untamed Planet.  So far we have really enjoyed it.

Listening ... to a scolding bird and the mournful moos of a cow who has been separated from her calf. I'm not sure if the bird is having some kind of problem, or is simply as tired of listening to the cow as I am.

Baking ... yesterday a pan of dark cherry bars were made. They turned out beautifully which is always a pleasure when trying a new recipe.

Cooking ... tonight there will be a curried vegetable stew and some herbed dinner rolls.

Feeling ... a bit all over the place. There's so much to be happy and thankful for. There's also sadness, concern, and other emotions all scrambled together.

Disliking ... flooded basements. Our late 1800's farmhouse has always had a stream of water running through the basement during spring thaws and when ever we have abundant rains. The floor is sloped so that it usually stays in a proper little stream all the way to the drain. 

With hurricane Ida sweeping through here on Wednesday and depositing loads of rain we experienced more flooding than we have had since moving here. The creek spilled over its banks and water covered the road. The basement drain no longer had a place to drain to. We ended up with several inches of water in the basement. Not horrible, but not pleasant either. 

Loving ... how nice the basement is since we cleaned it out after the flooding. There's still a bit of work to do down there, but at least all the flood damaged things have been cared for.

I intend to continue with the fall housecleaning as soon as I'm done with the basement.

Hiking ... we've been enjoying getting outdoors. There's something so healing and rejuvenating about spending time in nature.



Later today ... I'll be canning grape juice.  We won't be getting a whole lot this year, but even a few quarts are better than nothing.

We're all looking forward to enjoying it with popcorn later this winter.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to stand under that waterfall and let it wash all the stress of the world off my shoulders. Oh to be young again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reading thing seems to be happening to a lot of people lately; you're not even the first this week I've seen mentioning that you've been having a hard time settling in to reading fiction lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are feeling a bit more like yourself. How is Stephen's leg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Day by day we depend on the grace only the Lord can provide. So glad that you are beginning to enjoy the lovely things in life again after such a hard blow. The Lord heals, though often little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like hard work having your cellar flood when it rains hard.. but it seems you all cope with it and carry on and can enjoy the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mary Ann... I finally caught up with all of your blog! Writing in mine has been a challenge and I was thankful when Hodgepodge made a comeback; then took a break even at that!

    Been keeping you in prayer... glad you are keeping in touch with your Dad. Enjoying yours and LV's pictures! Thankful you have a grandbaby! Thankful also for God's grace... We
    had two too many funerals this summer. Same family; same month. It was very hard.

    Hoping to do some true writing in my own blog but definitely must make some priority time for it. Fall is almost upon us. Perhaps a good time to start!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.