Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Mystery of ...

... the creepy light bulb.


     The children had already made their way upstairs to bed, while LV and I enjoyed a few minutes catching up on the happenings of each other's day before we retired for the night.
      Before heading to bed I checked the laundry room and just as I came to the end of the hallway before turning into the laundry room the light turned on. There was no one there!!
     Things like that aren't supposed to happen, especially not in our little farm house.
      I tried to remain calm and walked back to the living room where LV was still relaxing on the couch. He looked up as I entered and immediately saw there was something amiss by the expression on my face.
       "I'm just a little freaked," I admitted and proceeded to tell him what had happened.
        He very sweetly, didn't laugh at my paranoia. Instead he took my hand and together we walked down the hall to the laundry room with the light shining brightly at us.
         Just as we got to the end of the hallway, it flickered off. In the next instant I tore my hand from his clasp and flew back to the living room. I'm not in great shape at all, in fact most days the very thought of exercise is exercise enough for me. You'd never have guessed that though as I dashed down the hallway at a speed rivaling that of an Olympic sprinter.
        LV stayed there quite unruffled and discovered the light bulb had not been screwed into the socket tightly enough and somehow the weight of someone walking on our creaky old floor had messed with its connection.
        I'm happy to report that the mystery of the creepy light bulb was easily solved, and there is nothing weird going on in our home. And I'm once again moving at normal, ladylike speeds throughout the house.

12 comments:

  1. It would have been frightening and I think I would have run too!
    Very pretty wallpaper behind the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be curious like your husband and figured out what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kinds of things freak me out also and I have to have an explanation or I stress over it and can't sleep that night. Glad it was a bulb not tight in there. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me laugh. I'm glad the mystery was easily explained. The first house we lived in as newlyweds was over 100 years old and had unexplained things happen quite often. Not exactly scary, but creepy nonetheless.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny! The crazy thoughts that so quickly run through our minds when something like that happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be creepy. Glad you got that all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The light over my stove does that once in a while and it does give a person a start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered if it was something like that when you mentioned it turning back off as you guys approached. Of course, had it happened to me, rather than being something I was told about in a blog post, I'm not sure I'd have been thinking so clearly, and am pretty sure I'd have reacted very much like you did. And I assure you I'm generally not a fan of moving in any direction at a fast pace either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, that must have been quite the experience. I am glad the mystery was solved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our house is an older house in an unincorporated neighborhood and all of the houses are on two-acre lots. Shortly after we bought our house, the doorbell began to ring randomly and at strange times. Like at 2 in the morning. We were new in the area and didn't know anyone, and there was never anyone at the door. It was very strange.

    Then one day I was at home during the day when the doorbell rang and nobody was at the door. Only I happened to be looking out the window when it happened and I noticed that our nearest neighbor had just come home. They had an automatic opener for their front gate, like a garage-door opener, so they didn't have to get out of the car to open the gate and drive up to their house.

    As it turned out, our doorbell hadn't been installed when the house was built. It was some kind of extra thing that the home owners had put on the door...and it was tied into the garage door opener of our house (which we never used because our cars wouldn't fit in the garage). Because the house was out in the country, the people who owned the house had tied the garage door opener and the doorbell together so they'd each know when the other came home.

    And our doorbell, it turned out, was also tied to the gate opener next door. Mystery solved.

    We took out the doorbell, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be unnerving to have Casper the Friendly Ghost turn on the light for you. We have several fluorescent lights that only work when they want to. I'll flip the switch, go into the room and do whatever it was, and come back out, forgetting I'd turned on the light. Maybe ten minutes later it will come on and startle me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.