Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Moving On

Life goes on ... just how it does that is hard to explain, but somehow the sun continues to come up every morning and sets again every evening. People keep rushing hither and yon seemingly oblivious to the fact that my world has come to a halt. Which is as it should be, but it feels weird being stuck apart from the rest of the world almost as if I were in a different dimension where things don't feel right or normal. A dimension where a day can feel like a week, and a month like years, and yet the weekly grocery run feels as if it happens every other day.

Music ... even though I have always loved it, has become an almost constant.





My Bible and prayer times have become more precious as I draw strength, hope, and courage from our very source of life.

The phone can ring or a message alert on Facebook can pop up and for an instant I think it's Mahlon and then it hits me all over that will never happen again. I wipe my tears and reach out to others. I can no longer talk with Mahlon or do things for him, but I can pour time and love into the lives of others.

And so I keep doing the next thing. I keep focusing on the little things, cherishing those who I am blessed to still have in my life. And keep rejoicing that we serve a God who has conquered death and though it is painful right now, it's not the end of the story.


19 comments:

  1. Oh Mary Ann, I can relate to this post in so many ways. I remember feeling exactly the same way when my mom died. Even as we were driving to the cemetery and all the cars were rushing hither and yon all around us, I remember saying to my husband, “What is wrong with those people? Don’t they realize my mother just died, life will never be the same.” I know that every day is like that for someone in the world, but at that moment my world come crashing down all around me.
    You are in my prayers daily Mary Ann. And I am not just saying that. I pray for you and your family each and every day. May the God of all comfort and peace wrap His arms around you today so that you feel him hugging you tight. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your continued prayers, Betsy. They mean a lot!

      Delete
  2. Hugs for you! I am soooo very sorry....I cannot imagine the pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ann, being the reader you are, I'm sure you are familiar with this, but after reading your post, the Lord laid this to my heart. From my journal--"For us this is the end of all the stories --but for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they are beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before. ~ C. S. Lewis - The Last Battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's beautiful, Joyce! Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Mary Ann, I pray that God will draw you closer and give you peace, as you reach out to others in love. My husband's mother died unexpectedly three weeks ago, and we are also still reeling and walking around in a haze. This post was a great encouragement to us...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayer, Heather!

      So sorry for the loss you and your family is experiencing. Prayers for peace and comfort.

      Delete
  5. I'm so very sorry for your pain and sadness. I pray that our heavenly Father will comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers even though we do not know each other, I feel your pain through your posts and my own knowledge of loss. You are going about it the right and in my opinion the very best way which is holding to your belief in God to get you through. Don't let people make you feel "wrong" as you handle your grief your way. I am so very very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and continued prayers.

      Delete
  7. So sorry for your loss and prayers that time slowly heals the wound. Life goes on for those around us as though we do not exist in times like these. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss, sending you a hug with the hope it will give you some comfort and know that you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hug and for keeping me in your prayers.

      Delete
  9. I remember that feeling all too well, Mary Ann. It came a year ago when my mother passed away. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the song links, that song Live On Forever is wonderful and means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.