Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shopping

Walking down an aisle in one of our local grocery stores I'm busy checking things off my list one by one. Next item crushed pineapple. I have been wanting to make one of our favorite but rarely made desserts for quite a while already but keep forgetting to get one of the key ingredients. Today will be that day.

I spot the pineapples up ahead but have to wait on a mother and her teenage daughter to choose which type they want. The daughter is standing patiently waiting with her hands folded nicely on top of each other on the handle of their shopping cart.

The mother continues to read the labels on different cans and finally selects the one she wants, glances at her shopping list while stepping back and dropping her can of pineapple into my cart.

Her daughter gasps a horrified, "Mom!" 

The mother quickly realizes what she did and we both burst out laughing. The poor teenager wasn't so amused and looked as if she would have loved nothing better than being able to vanish from sight after having been totally mortified like that.

I'm glad I'm out of the uncomfortable teenage phase of my life where parents seem to constantly embarrass me.  Life is too short to not find the humor in things!

9 comments:

  1. I seem to be in the stage where I am currently embarrassing 3 of our 5 daughters. According to my mom, that means I must be doing something right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My middle daughter was the most embarrassed by me in her early teen years. One time when she was 12 or 13 we were shopping at Target. She said something funny and I laughed. She said, "Mom! Stop laughing so loudly; you're embarrassing me!" Of course, that made me laugh even harder. She's 20 now. I haven't embarrassed her in about 3 years. My oldest and youngest daughters never reached that stage (they're 27 and 15).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your teenage daughter is actually willing to be seen in public with you? That's a miracle. I used to have teenagers, and they wouldn't be caught dead out in public with their mom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this post! Got to love those teenagers!
    until next time...nel

    ReplyDelete
  5. At times I think teens forget their humor, perhaps trading it in for mortification. Some are very good at that. Most would just rather their parents stay quietly in the background -- I know I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's cute that the other lady read the label and analyzed the nutrional value for you so you didn't have to! Gotta love THAT kind of shopping!

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's cute that the other lady read the label and analyzed the nutrional value for you so you didn't have to! Gotta love THAT kind of shopping!

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Deborah, she never walked 10 paces in front of me or anything. All the girls sought me out for mother-daughter outings, which is so precious to me. I feel so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. Hubby and I made it clear to our kids from day 1 that it was our job to embarrass them. They've always grinned and bore it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.