1. Wednesday, January 16th, is National Do Nothing Day!! National Nothing Day was proposed in 1972 by columnist Harold Pullman Coffin. This day has been observed annually since 1973. Of course, the way to celebrate it is to do nothing! To commemorate Do Nothing Day in SOME way, tell us something about your life (or the life of someone close to you) in 1973!!
I wasn't alive in 1973, and my parents were only young teenagers. 1973 happened to be somewhat monumental for them though since that is the year they met.
My Dad used to love sharing the story of how they met. He and his family had just moved hundreds of miles to a new community several months prior. On this particular Sunday one of his friends had convinced him and one of his sisters to visit one the neighboring Amish churches. After lunch he had wanted to talk to his sister about their plans for the afternoon, and he rounded the corner of the house just as my Mom stepped out on the porch to throw the dishwater away. He was left dripping from head to toe while she was absolutely horrified at what had just happened. Once he wiped the water from his eyes he saw her. He always liked to say it was love at first splash.
2. Now that we are thinking back, please tell us what your favorite past time was as a child.
One of my favorite things to do as a child was losing myself in a good book. I would read when ever I had a chance, and at times when I should have been doing other things.
3. What is the best way to cheer you up on a bad day?
The best way to lift my spirits is to start singing.
4. How old were you when you first started dating? Do you remember your first date?
I had my first official date when I was seventeen, and yes I still remember it clearly. I ended up marrying him several years later.
5. Today is also National Fig Newton day. Do you like figs/Fig Newtons?
Yes, I like Fig Newtons. I hardly ever have them, but I enjoy them when ever we do. I love figs. Dried figs are delicious, fig jam is always a treat. So far I've never met a fig I didn't like.
6. Tell us something random about your week.
Steven remembered this set of wooden shapes we have, and went searching for them. He's spent quite a bit of time creating various patterns with them.
I love technology free activities!