Wednesday, April 26, 2017

V ~ Vacuum Cleaner

We had moved into a house that had carpeting in every room except the kitchen. We were extremely careful on it, but when we left the Amish a few months later one of the first things we did was get a vacuum cleaner.

Though I would rather have had hardwood floors, I found it very satisfying to be able to run the vacuum cleaner. The children were impressed with it too, Kenneth wanted to be able to use it. Every once in a while I'd allow him to have a turn at it.

One day as I was working in the kitchen he started vacuuming the living room again. I didn't pay too much attention to what he was doing until I saw a thin wisp of smoke. He had the brilliant idea to clean the hot ashes from our fireplace, which as you can imagine as soon as it got sucked into the vacuum bag it started burning. I don't think I had ever moved that fast before as I grabbed it and threw open the patio doors.

The neighbors must have wondered what in the world was happening when a vacuum cleaner sailed through the air and landed in the yard.

I had three wide eyed children as I closed the door, and proceeded to give another fire safety lesson. We got a new vacuum cleaner and thankfully that one lived a long and happy life and finally died of natural causes

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Oh my! I guess I'm glad none of my kids have helped that way! Although, I'm pretty sure "natural causes" strike our vacuum cleaners younger than a smaller family's would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgoodness! I could see my kids doing that as well. We had this vacuum that was a beast to move, when my husband got our current vacuum it is so light and easy to use that we all had to take turns vacuuming. My floors were super clean for about 2 weeks. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.