Monday, April 24, 2017

T ~ Tests

     Going to our little Amish school, test weeks used to be my favorite. Sure, there was studying involved to make sure we were brushed up on everything, but I found most subjects easy and enjoyable. Because of that the actual studying part didn't take me long and I could spend the rest of my time reading.

    We weren't plagued with timed tests. The teacher would hand out the tests in the morning and everyone started working on them. Once it was completed we would hand it in and then be free to do what we pleased. Reading, working on some type of art/craft project, or simply sitting and twiddling our thumbs. Being a bookworm I always opted to read.

   For the students who had a harder time, their entire day could be devoted to getting their test done. I'm sure they probably didn't enjoy test week as much, but at least the didn't have the added pressure of being timed and not being able to get done.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful way to take tests. I think we put way too much pressure on children these days. I'm a bookworm to so I can understand exactly how you felt. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Betsy! We do put entirely too much stress on our children, and I'd rather read than to almost anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do put too much stress on our children. Teach to the test, isn't that the way educators see learning these days? Where is the encouragement for children to develop ideas of their own?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other commenters. Even back in the 1960's, we were under time pressure all the time. I would have loved the ability to finish early and read a book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.