Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Morning so Far

Judging by how cold my toes got from the simple trek through the house this morning when I got up I knew it must have turned decidedly colder over night.

Taking a quick glance at the old thermometer beside the kitchen window confirmed my assumption. A chilly twenty-one. After getting LV's coffee started I went into the next room and happened to glance at the digital thermometer sitting on top of the desk. It declared it's twenty-six.

Which do I go by?

Taking the advice of Rebecca Dew from Anne of Windy Poplars where she had told Anne, "Better go by the old thermometer, it's probably more used to our climate." I'm going to say it was twenty-one this morning.

~~~~~

I have always liked mums and when we were visiting LV's family not so long ago they gave us an absolutely gorgeous one. The first time we have ever had any. It's huge, and lovely, and we're unwilling to allow it to die.

Afraid that it might freeze last night we brought inside before we went to bed. I still had not put it back out on the porch when someone in a tattered coat, reeking of cigarette smoke came to the door asking to use our phone because he ran off the road while trying to avoid several deer.

Knowing that cell phone service is basically nonexistent here in the hollow I reluctantly allowed him inside. He proceeded to call his Grandmother to come help him. I had the urge to cover the children's ears with my hands so they don't have to hear his language.

He left and I noticed my poor mums had been smashed with the door when he came in. I tried to fix them, but I guess only time will tell if they return to their former beauty.
 
~~~~~

We're on our 63rd day of school for this term, we got all the "bookwork" done and are left with Sunbeam's more fun things to do. She has been studying Ethiopia in her geography so we want to try baking some authentic Ethiopian bread. Off to do that now.

15 comments:

  1. It was in the upper 30s in this part of Maryland last night. I seem to have been inspired by the weather - I was up at an outrageous hour, ate, showered, and took the dog for a one-mile walk. I haven't been that ambitious since the day before the baby came. (which was a looong time ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooler weather always makes me feel more energetic as well.

      Delete
  2. We've had a few below freezing temperatures but then it warmed back up to the 40's for lows. The cold caught me unaware because it was so early and killed all of my geraniums and pansies. So sad and now it's a bit warmer again. Lots and lots of rain though.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always sad when flowers get killed! Have you ever tried storing geraniums over winter?

      Delete
  3. It was in the 20s IN YOUR HOUSE???
    How did your water pipes/heater not freeze?

    Time to turn up the heat, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't in the 20s in our house. :) That was the outside temperature. The house, especially the floor was cold though. We were waiting on furnace parts before we turn on the heat.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You got REALLY cold last night! I'm not sure what it was here, I did turn the furnace on though. Brrrr. Baking all morning heated the house eventually. : ) I've always loved that quote of Rebecca Dew's!!! Hahaha!
    Oh dear, your poor mums! Are you able to plant them and have them come back next year? Not sure what zone you're in... or exactly how hardy the mums are. I usually enjoy mine in pots until they look scruffy and then plant them in my flowerbeds. About half come back the next spring, so I think I put planting off a little long for the plant's good, but oh well. I really enjoy the ones that choose to return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to mums. I would love to be able to keep these so that they grow again next year.

      Delete
    2. My co-worker and I were discussing mums this week. Her mother suggests that when they are finished blooming to cut them off to about 2 inches above the soil and placing them in an area that will not freeze (like a basement) and keeping the soil moist and planting them in the spring. I have not tried this nor has my friend but we are both going to give it a try!

      Delete
  5. If we were to wake up and find our thermometer saying it was 21 degrees, we'd know it was time to buy a new thermometer. 21 degrees just ain't happenin' here!

    I'm sorry that your flowers got injured. I hope that they will perk up and be as beautiful as ever.

    Have a blessed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today's morning low temp. reminded me of a student teacher I once had. She had moved up to our neck of the woods from Florida, and had never experienced snow. She came to work all excited one morning about finally experiencing snow. I had to be the one to burst her bubble with the news that she had only seen frost on the fields...but her new boots would come in handy very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! It certainly is cold there. I am glad we have not had anything quite that cold yet. I think that your school day sounds like many of the ones we had and I am glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Sunbeam trying to make injera? If so, and she masters it, please post the recipe & instructions. We all love Ethiopian food - unfortunately, our only Ethiopian restaurant here closed a year or so ago. Emma and I have successfully made chicken doro wat (a spicy chicken stew) and misr wat (a lentil dish), but haven't tried injera yet. My one effort at an Ethiopian sauteed vegetable dish was a miserable failure, so I'd like to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was kind of you to allow that man to use your telephone. When I lived in Pennsylvania, I used to plant my mums in the flower beds in September. In the spring, when they first grew lots of green leaves, I would cut them back and then when they grew they would flower better. They always bloom more if you deadhead them too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.