Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What's something fun you're looking forward to on your May calendar?

The girls and I have some fun craft related things planned to do in May, as well as trying out some new recipes.
 
2. What are some images that come to mind when you hear the word mother?

My Mom, of-course. Followed immediately by things we did together, sewing gardening, cooking, cleaning, always talking or singing while we worked.

She was patient, kind, and loving. I don't think she ever raised her voice at us. She was our safe space. No matter what else was going on in life, things were always better with her at my side.

She was my best friend, sister, and mother all wrapped up in one. (And now I'm crying, because I really miss that.)

3. What's something beautiful you own or have seen that's made of glass? 

Some dishes in my china cupboard. I still love pretty dishes.
 
4. Was today typical? If not what made it unusual? 

Today is only just beginning, but so far it has been typical of what my days usually look like by this point in my morning. (Other than the crying part.)
 
5. What is a quality you wish you could have more of?

I'm not sure I can narrow it down to a single thing, seems there are many areas in my life where I wish and strive to get better.

6. What's the next major purchase you need to make? Will it happen in the month of May? 

We really need a freezer. We've been making do with only the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. It's doable, but it would be really nice being able to have more space.

I don't see us getting a freezer in May.
 
7. What responsibility/job/work did you dislike while growing up but has proved helpful to you as an adult?

I used to dislike sanding furniture between coats of lacquer. With my parents' woodworking shop, that happened regularly.

I have some furniture projects here waiting for me to get to them. All of them I wish I had done last month already.  I still don't particularly enjoy it even though I'm glad I know how.
 
8. Insert your own random thought here.

There's still time to hop over and enter my giveaway, if you haven't done so already. You can do that here.
 

11 comments:

  1. You described my mother very well. Should I copy and paste?
    I love pretty dishes, too. And china tea cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom sounds much like yours...I sure do miss her! Thoughts of her make me cry sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do know how you feel. We lost my mom 3 years ago and I still am quickly moved to tears when I think about her...usually happy tears as I know where she is, but I miss her so. Enjoyed your answers..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about my mom and pray that for my girls. Life is better with a safe place to land. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this sounds weird, but I envy you the fact that you can cry over your mum. Mine was what they call a "real piece of work". Never happy, and she could always find a way to "shoot down your little red balloon" and make you feel bad about yourself.
    When you get your freezer, purchase the largest one you can. There ae only two of us, and we have a 20 cubic foot Montgomery Wards upright, and there are days when I wish it was bigger! Unless you are really good at standing on your head, get an upright; they take up much less floor space, and it is easier to find things when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had more patience. Big sigh.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet tribute to your mother. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet relationship to have with your Mom. Mine was always there for me too, but passed away much too young when I was only 29. I miss her to this day and I know it will never go away even though it's been over 25 years.
    Love all of your answers.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you can treasure the memories your mom left for you. A freezer is awesome! I just got one last Christmas- they often run deals at Home Depot during the holidays. I love pretty dishes and tea cups. I have my grandmother's collection. It brings joy to me every time I look at my china hutch. Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you said about your mother! That is so sweet! She sounds just the way a mother ought to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.