Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Chainsaws and Worries

      We used to have a big couch covered with a slippery brown cover, setting inside our living room windows. John, David, and I used to spend a lot of time on it playing church or looking at story books. It also provided an excellent view of the barnyard if we knelt on it to look out the windows.
     One snowy morning a pick-up pulling a cattle trailer pulled into the driveway and a man got out and came to the door. Mom went to see what he wanted and then came into the living room and told us to play nicely while she goes out to the barn to help him get our fattened steer loaded.
     We quickly scrambled onto the couch and watched out the window as Mom walked out to the barn and the man backed his trailer down behind the barn and out of sight of the house. Before long Mom and the man appeared as they walked to the shop, we were trying to discern what they could want in there when they appeared again. This time the man was carrying one of Daddy's chain saws.
     They walked back to the barn and disappeared behind it. And then we heard the chain saw.
John and David were contentedly watching out the window for the next time Mom appears when I announced with all my six year old authority that "I think that man is cutting Mom's legs off." and then promptly started crying.
      John and David looked at me with wide eyed consternation. The thought of Mom having her legs cut off was too overwhelming and they joined me in crying. Howling would describe it better.
We forgot all about watching out the window, as we sat on the floor holding each other and crying at the top of our lungs at the dreadful thing that was happening to Mom when all of a sudden she was standing in front of us demanding to know what is wrong.
       Her legs appeared to be fine and I started to feel sheepish. John had no such problem though and announced that I said the man was cutting her legs off.
      She seemed flabbergasted with me and explained that there had been a tree branch in the way that had to be cut so the trailer could be backed up to the barn door.

      I think of this episode at times when I am tempted to worry about things. It is a perfect reminder how silly it is to waste time thinking of all the dreadful things that might happen.

12 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! Your words painted the story in my mind and I had to laugh. Our imaginations can sure get away on us! Thanks for the reminder. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a logical six year old putting together what was seen..and the relief you were wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a relief to see Mom was uninjured. :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful life lesson of Matthew 6:27.

    Gotta smile at the fervent logic of six year olds. Maybe we were all illogical then so we could learn the logical lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter just turned seven, and she has an over active imagination too:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over active imaginations can be quite interesting at times, a bit flabbergasting at others.

      Delete
  5. My mother used to call that "what-if" and say it was never productive to "what-if."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine the three of you holding on to each other and howling away. Your mother must have wondered what in the world caused such an uproar! Funny now but probably not then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good lesson in this story. I remember being afraid and worrying about things like that when I was young. I can just see you three sitting there crying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a be-prepared type of person...I always want to have plans for the 'what-ifs' and it sure does waste a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.