Today I came across the list of things I wrote as a note to self if I'm ever a mother-in-law or grandmother.
Some of the items on the list made me chuckle a little, but most were actually good advice to my future self.
A few items on the list:
- Never give advice, unless it has been requested.
- Allow each in-law and grandchild to be an individual ... remember no two people or families are alike.
- Don't tear around with the grandchildren making them all unruly and laugh and say you can teach them what you want once I'm at home.
- Support the rules they have for your grandchildren.
- Don't say how well behaved your children used to be, and how you used to get everything done, and how you always kept the house and garden clean. Forgetting the things your children used to do, the clutter in the house, and the weeds in the garden.
- Never forget children are children and will want to play when they come visit and not have to simply sit on a chair the entire time and smile at me.