Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you're not American,  feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?

Watermelon is my favorite food on the 4th.

We do not fly a flag at our house.

Fireworks, yay and nay. I like seeing a nice fireworks display, but they are illegal in our state unless you have a permit. The hoops you have to jump through in order to get a permit aren't worth it. Having a fire chief  come inspect the site where you plan to set off the fireworks, paying a $500.00 bond incase anything goes wrong, and then applying for the permit from the municipality you're in and abiding by any additional rules and regulations they may have. Nope, not worth it.

2. What's something you recently got for free?

I got a few lapbooks for free. (If you don't know what a lapbook is, you can see one I got here.)

Our children love lapbooks, and with Sunbeam being a huge fan of the Little House series I'm sure she will enjoy the set I got for her.

3.  The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore...how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?

I haven't seen any of those. I don't think I have a favorite monument, though I have always wanted to see both The Liberty Bell and The Statue of Liberty.

4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they've perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?

I'm somewhere in between. I don't watch the news, but it's basically impossible to not hear about the news if you have a Facebook account. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the whole ISIS thing other than praying for the Christians to be able to stand strong in their faith. I think it's horrible what is happening, but it's not surprising. Coming from a heritage where my people were hunted down, drowned, burned at the stake, and tortured for their faith we would read the Bible and know it will all happen again. Revelations 6: 9-11

5. We're talking plain ice cream...vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.

Ice cream isn't really my thing, but I would choose plain vanilla. Preferably with a warm brownie.

6. Share a song you love containing the word 'stars' in the lyrics or title?

This is July, the middle of summer, but the first star related song that came to my mind is: O Beautiful Star of Bethlehem.

7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.

Jumbled emotions.
Umbrellas
New plans
Energy draining.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

It's okay to brag a little on your husband occasionally, right?

This past winter LV took this junk truck that didn't work at all, and really looked as if someone should go ahead and push it off a cliff.


And turned it into this.

27 comments:

  1. I didn't know what a lapbook was like this idea. Great looking truck-hub is talented in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the song you chose! Especially sung by Emmylou Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that truck is amazing - deserves lots of bragging. Happy 4th July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the truck......definitely worth bragging about!! Enjoy your weekend.......with lots and lots of watermelon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hubs did a great job! I thought of that song this week too. So amazing to know the star was seen in the sky this week for the first time in centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The truck looks amazing!!!
    I do think we, as Christians, will be persecuted. I only hope & pray that when that time comes, I will have the courage stand up for my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is some truck. Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such talent you and hubby have..beautiful paint job

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful truck! He did a wonderful job restoring it. I also believe that Christians will be persecuted world-wide, not just in the countries that we're seeing it in now. The Bible tells us it will happen and it's never been wrong before.
    Thank you for your prayers for me.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always appropriate to brag on one's husband. What a talent he has. I know you are rightly proud. I do also believe that Christians here in our country will experience some persecution but I'm not sure it will come to the degree we are seeing in other places in my life time. So, I pray that the Lord will come quickly and spare my children and grandchildren. You may want to read my answer to that question. Enjoy your 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in agreement with a lot of your answers. I don't watch the news, either. :)

    Your husband did an amazing job on that truck. It certainly does not look like the first picture anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well we didn't need umbrella's here. Although the mornings were a little misty on our walks. I also am not wild about ice cream but every once in a while its refreshing to have. I do would prefer a warm brownie or cookie though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a very gifted husband, the truck is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ice cream with a warm brownie sounds delicious :)
    Your husband did an amazing job with his truck! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing truck. Wonderful lapbook. Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing truck. Wonderful lapbook. Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your husband did a great job!!
    Have a good Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I'd say that is a good reason to brag about your husband. He did an amazing job. Fireworks are illegal to shoot off here too although many people still do so we sometimes get to see a nice display. Then of course there are the ones put on my the local towns and counties, which are spectacular! Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed reading your answers. Your husband did an incredible job with that truck - I wouldn't have had this vision based on the 'before'. And the permit to show fireworks sounds ridiculous. Hope you enjoyed your Canadian bacon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been enjoying watermelon with my dad this week. Those lapbooks are very nice and looks like they would be fun to create. I agree with you on the news and I pray for our protection over ISIS. Vanilla for me too and I like your suggestion of a brownie. I am sitting here amazed...the truck is gorgeous. He did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That truck is amazing!!! Hard to believe the transformation. Hope you have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That truck is amazing!!! Hard to believe the transformation. Hope you have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LV is a magician judging by what he did to that truck. Thank you for the "anniversary" love. SWMBO and I appreciate it! Have a safe and happy 4th of July holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I am so impressed with the truck! Thank you so much for your blog--I enjoy it so much and read every post. The lapbooks are interesting too. I have never heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That truck is awesome!! I love it, and it brings back memories of my trucking days. Although being a stay at home wife and homeschooling mom is even better than a truck driver:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.