Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Choice to get Married

Do Amish parents choose who their children marry?

Will you be doing the same for your children once they are old enough to get married?


Amish parents do not arrange marriages for their children.  If they have misgivings about the choice their child is making they will voice their concerns but it is ultimately the child's decision.

When LV asked to come calling I talked to my parents first before giving him the final answer. He talked to his parents as well and neither of them had any objections.

When he asked me to marry him I said yes, but still asked my parents for their blessing the following day.


In answer to your second question. Yes, we will be allowing our children to make their own choice once they reach that age.

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying not to read too many past posts so that the book will be fresh when I can buy it -- but I had to look back to the proposal. Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how it should be, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog a few days ago, but I LOVE it! It is very interesting to me to learn how people from other cultures live. I love the stories from your childhood that I have been reading through. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.