Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stormy Days

Not being able to be active while my ankle was healing took a lot of patience. It wasn't long before people started dropping by to say "Hi' and leaving several books for me to read. I loved reading and for the first time in my life I could read all I wanted to.

One afternoon as I was reading there was another knock on the door. I looked up to see my best friend Rachel*  I welcomed her inside and we immediately started talking. Rachel lived in a neighboring district and we didn't get to see each other very often. Our parents were really good friends and made sure that we get together several times a year. When Rachel's older brothers and sisters got married, moved to our district, and started having children Rachel and I got to spend a lot more time together.

Today our conversation turned to our boyfriends and I told her that LV had asked me to marry him. She was happy for me and then told me how she wonders how it would be to actually like someone enough to promise to spend the rest of your life with them. She went on to tell me more about her boyfriend. He was being a total jerk and she was going to break up with him on their next date.

I wished that she could be as happy as I was but was glad she was getting ready to dump her boyfriend because she deserved someone much better than him.

The next Sunday arrived hot and humid. It was the first week in June but the weather felt worse than most summers did during the dog days. Everyone was hoping there would be a nice rain to cool things off. That evening there was a singing in our church district. All the young folks gathered at my Uncle Eli's house to have our usual two hour hymn sing.  We all sat at their table and started singing, outside it started to thunder and lightening flashed constantly. I looked at LV sitting across the table from me and  couldn't help but wonder how Rachel was doing. As we sang one song after another I kept watching the clock and hoping that Rachel had dumped her boyfriend already. After we were singing for almost an hour the thunder started booming horribly. The storm was definitely getting closer. It rained in the strangest way. Almost as if there were huge buckets of water being poured out. It would start and stop abruptly and in between the air had a most uneasy feeling that somehow crept into the house and wrapped itself around everyone as well.

Eli, got up and went outside. A little later he came hurrying back as a loud roar passed by. And just as quickly everything was quiet again. Except now it started to rain and hail.

We tried to keep on singing but our efforts seemed lack luster. A little later we were surprised when Daddy walked into the room and announced that there had been a tornado. That the way it looks LV's brother lost everything. No one tried singing any longer. LV got up to go see how his brother and family were doing. The rest of the young folks decided to walk to their house as well to see what they could do to help.  How I wished I could walk. I felt alone as everyone left.

To be continued
*Name changed to protect identity.

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl, you really need to write a book. You have me sitting on the edge of my seat. lol.
    until the next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  2. JC ~ Your stories are over the moon wonderful ... I've said it before, I'll say it again & again ... WRITE A BOOK, I'd be spell bound. You truly have such a beautiful way of sharing your 'life'.

    Have a beautiful winter's eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riveting story... did anyone stay behind with you?

    I look forward to the next installment.

    Saloma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.