Friday, April 20, 2018

Cape Dresses

    I watched with great interest as Mom carefully cut the purple fabric. She was making my first three piece dress suit and I was excited. I had not minded wearing my other dresses but to finally be able to wear a cape and apron made me feel just a little bit grown up.

     It didn't take Mom long to get it sewed and then carefully iron it pressing the pleats in the dress and apron so that they came to a point just above the hem. After she was done I hung it on the hook on my bedroom door. It was much too pretty to hide away in the closet. I wanted to be able to admire it until I could wear it to go to church the next Sunday.

     It seemed Sunday would never come. This Sunday was going to be extra special because not only would I get to wear a cape and apron but it would also be the first time I would be allowed to sit with the girls in church instead of beside Mom.

     Sunday morning arrived and Mom helped me get dressed. It was more complicated to try to get pins to close my dress neatly instead of the buttons I had been used to. Once everything was pinned to Mom's satisfaction we were ready to go to church. I went into the church house with Mom and hung my bonnet with hers and followed her like usual to shake hands with all the women that were already there. And once that was done I went to the coat room where the girls stood waiting until it was time to file into the church room.

     I was no longer so sure that this was such a great idea. I could see that the women had already found their usual seats. Mom smiled at me while Mahlon sat on her lap looking at a little book. I wished I would be little enough to sit on her lap instead of being dressed in an increasingly uncomfortable outfit and standing with all the girls. I was glad my friend Nancy was also there. She had started wearing a cape and apron and sitting with the girls a few months earlier, and seemed quite calm and relaxed.

     As I glanced out the window I could see the bishop and ministers and a long line of men following behind them make their way slowly and solemnly toward the church house. My heart starting beating faster at the thought that soon it would be our turn to file in.

    I stayed beside Nancy and followed her to our seat. Church proceeded as usual, but I couldn't concentrate on the preaching. The apron belt felt too tight around my waist. I looked forward to going home and changing into my old comfortable dress that fit loosely and didn't present the danger of being jabbed with a pin.

    Once we got home I was disappointed when Mom told me to hang the dress carefully because I would need to wear it to school the next week. I dreaded the thought of having to wear it again the next day. But that was only the start. The following week she sewed several more suits and I had to wear them constantly. Growing up wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. And life stretched out before me clouded with years of wearing uncomfortable dresses. Thankfully after several weeks I got used to them and life once again looked good.

4 comments:

  1. Isn’t it funny how we look forward to certain events and then they become a disappointment or scary thing when they actually happen. I enjoyed reading about your cape dress experience. I was the same with nylons back when I first wore them.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old were you when you started wear your cape dresses? I'm enjoying your stories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime transition is a hard thing. Growing up is hard too. You want to be more grown up but sometimes it's not as fun as you though it would be. I so remember.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things so often aren't as we had imagined they would be. They don't measure up to our expectations. I enjoyed this story of your first cape dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.