Thursday, April 19, 2018

Alvins Move In

    Two years had passed since we had moved to Pennsylvania and I had made many new friends but that didn't put a damper on my excitement when I heard that Uncle Alvins would be moving on the farm right next to us. I could hardly wait to be able to play with cousin Emma again.

     When the day arrived that they moved in we all went to help them get settled. After the truck had been unloaded and all the other people had left for home Emma, Esther and I explored their little house. It was even smaller than ours had been. Aunt Lydia soon asked us to wash some of the dishes so they could be used for supper. We started filling our dishpan with water when the entire faucet popped off and a geyser of water shot for the ceiling. I thought it was hilarious, but Aunt Lydia didn't seem very impressed and Emma and Esther wished they would be back in their nice home in New York where faucets behaved properly. That put a quick end to my laughing because I didn't want to want them to move back to Dundee.

     A few days later school started and John and I were happy to be able to walk to school with our cousins. After we got to school and everyone had been assigned their desks for the new term I was happy to be sitting right behind Emma. I wasn't very happy that LV was once again sitting across the aisle from me but I was determined to ignore him completely and not let him spoil my school year this time.

     On the way home from school Emma and I talked about everything that had happened that day. It wasn't long before she started gushing about LV How smart and fun he is and much more daring than the other boys and how she really likes him. I told her what an awful boy he really was but she didn't seem to care. She was sure school would be a great place because he sat across the aisle from us. I couldn't believe that Emma, my best friend since we were both babies, could be so traitorous and actually have a crush on the one person that had so often made my life miserable.

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes our friends see things differently than we do. I've also found that when girls are interested in a boy it doesn't matter what we say. Don't get between your friend and a boy.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying reading your story. I need to go back to the beginning and catch it all. Not sure when that will happen though.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has such interesting ways of pointing out the good in someone deemed a vexation to the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to catch up today. I also enjoy your stories. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute story. It's funny how different people have different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to capture childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only you had been able to see into the (your) future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that you should mention Dundee, NY. I don’t live far from Dundee. Although I know that you did not attend the schools when you lived there, the principal of the HS is a very good friend of ours and attends our church.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.