Friday, May 23, 2014

Nursery Rhymes

The Amish have some of their own nursery rhymes and lullabies.

A favorite of mine when I was a little girl was one about rabbits in the yard. Sung in Pennsylvania Dutch and rhyming perfectly.

The first verse had black rabbits that wanted to bite the baby, the next verse white rabbits wanted to scratch the baby, long eared rabbits with little feet think the baby smells sweet, short eared rabbits with big feet chase the baby around the garden, little rabbits with cute noses think the baby smells like cheese, some more rabbits think the baby is lost, while others think it's cross.

By the end of the song I would envision a yard filled with every rabbit imaginable and be glad I was safely snuggled in Mom's lap.

9 comments:

  1. Aaaawwww ...... very sweet memory ....... there is many nursery ryhmes that I remember kept me thinking afterward, and, some a bit frightened for whatever reason, especially there was an old woman who lived in a shoe !! I was horrified to think a big family lived in a big shoe !! Just one of many .... And, a BIG BAD wolf !!! Kinda strange that they were written for children to read and enjoy !!
    Wishing you a safe and fun filled Memorial week-end my friend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of nursery rhymes are less than cute when you take a moment to see what they're actually saying, including Rock-a-bye baby!

      Hope you have a very nice week end as well!

      Delete
    2. There's a similar one:

      Rock-a-bye baby, thy cradle is green
      Daddy's a nobleman, mama's a queen
      Betty's a lady and wears a gold ring
      And Johnny's a drummer and drums for the king.

      WHAT exactly is going on there?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. When my 12-year-old is sick (or sad, or exhausted) he still likes for me to sing "I had a little nut tree" to him. Once, I sang it to him in a hospital emergency room. The doctor/nurse had never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever heard that song either. I'll have to google for it now.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad used to sing to me: "I took my girl to the circus. the circus for the see. But she got stuck in the elephant's trunk, and wouldn't come home with me." I don't know if he made it up, or it is an Australia rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute song! Were you ever scared of elephants after this song?

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.