Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-1. Every January 1st since 1976
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I don't care for any of those words and phrases. I would be happy if they would all go away, some more than others.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
A green beaded mobile thing that someone asked me to make. It has been half way completed for way longer than I care to admit. Turns out there are ever so many more fun things to do than dig through my store room looking for the beads to finish it.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
The last time I had a bowl of soup was on Sunday after church. I made homemade mushroom soup. It is one of our family favorites. After having it, the thought of trying to eat the kind that comes from a can makes you want to whimper and beg for mercy.
I love soup, my favorite changes every so often. Right now I could go for some shrimp bisque.
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
Snowed in. We had some snow and very cold. Makes staying in the house the best option.
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Johnny English is one of the funniest. The most recent one I saw that made me laugh was A Christmas Story.
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
Unfortunately, I have been blessed with clumsy tendencies.
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I am not an Elvis fan. I haven't heard enough of his songs to have a favorite and those I did hear I didn't care for. For some odd reason I heard Blue Christmas this year and by the end of the song I was feeling totally exhausted.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
The children have been singing a song with all fifty states and capitals. I can't get it out of my head and I'm getting more than a little tired of it. So much so, that listening to Blue Christmas sounds tempting right about now.