Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grilling

It was our inbetween Sunday and my brothers had come to spend the day at our house. It was beautiful outside and it wasn't long before they decided that they wanted to ride back to Mount Savage. There was an old faintly marked trail from a long abandoned railroad, a dark tunnel that was starting to crumble in spots, and then the other side where they climbed to the top of the mountain. It was always a long day when they decided to go to the mountain.

While they were gone I decided to try out the funny smoker grill that LV's parents had given to us. I read all the instructions to make sure that I understood everything. I filled the water bowl in the bottom and then filled the firepan with charcoal and lit it.

I had butched a few chickens the day before and after selecting a recipe from the back of the instruction book I started grilling. It was supposed to take a lot longer than a normal grill would but I had plenty of time. I checked and rechecked the meat, turning it every once in a while. It didn't seem to be getting tender yet so I gave it still more time.

By the time LV and the boys came back the chicken was still not tender but instead reduced to tiny bits of hard beyond rubbery pieces that we didn't have any hope of trying to eat.

I had plenty of freshly baked goods in the house and after making a big bowl of popcorn no one seemed to miss the dehydrated chicken.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, I've never had a smoker so I have no clue what went wrong, but I'm glad you had other food to eat. I love grilling over coals on a fire. Cleanup is a breeze. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to buy a grill very soon, as i really love cooking out. The weather here started out sunny, now its grey and cloudyish. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon county,Penn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. My husband smokes meat all the time. (It's a GREAT way to use up that frozen turkey that's been in the freezer for a year.) Sorry, I'm no help - he's the one that always does it. He does always brine poultry before smoking it - I wonder if that would have made a difference? I know the temperature can be kind of tricky too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fully expecting you to post that the bishop had declared grilling off-limits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with "Clisby" comment above!
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I've had a few grilling experiences like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clisby, they never said anything about grilling but riding horses soon became a no-no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bishop's regulations are starting to read like a farce. What next, is breathing through one's mouth off-limits, and only through one's nose?!

    Wonder how others in his parish/church could tolerate his oppressiveness, but then so did many in Hitler's army. Sounds like a cruel comparison, but it comes to mind, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this is so funny! reminds me of quite a few of my own cooking distasters! Good post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any clue as to what happened with the chicken? I've never used a smoker/grill but now that winter has finally let go, I'm thinking of starting up the grill :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.